Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Seeking Advice to set up a solution to broadcast live events with 16 languages

(1/3) > >>

davidhello:
Hello everyone,

I'm David Hello, and I'm based in the UK. I work as a software developer for a charity, and they've asked me to look into broadcasting our live events. I don't have much experience with sound and video hardware, so I could really use some help.

Here's what we're trying to do:

We have up to 16 audio tracks (using XLR connections). One track is for prayers, which needs to be broadcasted on all audio channels, another is for the English speaker, and the rest are translations.
We have an HDMI video signal coming from a camera.
Our goal is to broadcast this live, with a player that allows viewers to switch between languages.

I've managed to set this up using OBS as the broadcasting software, a Behringer UMC1820 sound card with multiple inputs, and streaming platforms like Castr and Clevercast. I also use an SRT stream with ffmpeg in OBS (here's an explanation of the setup.)

However, there are some limitations. I can only broadcast in 6 languages (or 12 with Clevercast, as it supports 2 languages per stereo channel) because OBS can only handle 6 output tracks. I've looked into VMix and Wirecast, but they don't seem to support more languages either.

So, I'm considering using hardware instead. Since I don't have much experience and the equipment is pricey, I want to make sure I get it right. That's why I'm seeking advice from experienced folks.

Here's my plan:

1) To mix the prayers with the other audio channels: I'm thinking of using an audio mixer (like the Behringer X32).
2) To convert the XLR to SDI: I found this converter, and I'd need 4 of them to handle 16 audio channels.
3) To convert the HDMI to SDI: I'm looking at this converter.
4) To mix the SDI video signal with the 4 SDI audio channels: I'm not sure how to do this.
5) To broadcast the final SDI signal containing 1 video and 16 audio channels: I'm considering the Makito X4 single channel.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve point 4?
Or any other suggestions on a different approach? I'm also wondering if I need something to sync the audio with the video, and maybe a noise reduction device for the translation channels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, everyone!

Regards,
David

Tim McCulloch:
If this is a mission-critical 'cast, I'd strongly consider hiring professionals that do this every day.  Fund it by finding a donor to sponsor each language translation.

Mike Caldwell:
Maybe it's easier than I know but what will home viewer need to do to select the audio they want to listen to using their phone or laptop?

davidhello:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on May 26, 2024, 10:26:03 AM ---Maybe it's easier than I know but what will home viewer need to do to select the audio they want to listen to using their phone or laptop?

--- End quote ---

They just need to choose the language from the web player. It looks like this (with the difference of there will be no subtitle, only audio translation).
Tx

davidhello:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on May 26, 2024, 10:24:52 AM ---If this is a mission-critical 'cast, I'd strongly consider hiring professionals that do this every day.  Fund it by finding a donor to sponsor each language translation.

--- End quote ---
I understand, and that can be could solution.
The main reason I was thinking to buy equipment is that the events to broadcast are quite long (they last either 1 or 2 weeks), and they occur every year, three times a year. I thought it was worth spending some money on equipement and time on training.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version