Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Community VHF100 Drivers

(1/6) > >>

Pierre Foster:
Hey guys it's been a while but I know this is the best place to start my search.

I'm looking for a few Community VHF100 drivers or advice on a suitable replacement. I know the latter is easier said than done but I have to replace 4 of these units and the last time I needed to do this was about 5 years ago, so I'm not sure where to even start now.

Hoping someone may have some spares laying around they wouldn't mind parting with.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Pierre Foster on May 21, 2024, 09:18:41 PM ---Hey guys it's been a while but I know this is the best place to start my search.

I'm looking for a few Community VHF100 drivers or advice on a suitable replacement. I know the latter is easier said than done but I have to replace 4 of these units and the last time I needed to do this was about 5 years ago, so I'm not sure where to even start now.

Hoping someone may have some spares laying around they wouldn't mind parting with.

--- End quote ---

BiAmp owns Community now, and I *think* they're still using the VHF100 or it's most recent derivative in current products.  Have you checked with their parts dept?

George Reiswig:
I was working in a small music store in the late 80's or early 90's and we started carrying Community cabinets. They sounded great compared to what we'd been using. I remember having to open one up to service something, though, and the crossover had a transformer core made of nails. Literally nails. Varnished together, then with wire wound around them. Nails.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: George Reiswig on May 22, 2024, 01:40:48 PM ---I was working in a small music store in the late 80's or early 90's and we started carrying Community cabinets. They sounded great compared to what we'd been using. I remember having to open one up to service something, though, and the crossover had a transformer core made of nails. Literally nails. Varnished together, then with wire wound around them. Nails.

--- End quote ---

My experience with Community goes back to the 1980s, but I was buying mostly horns rather that systems.  Hey, I knew everything - how did I forget so much? ;)

Adam Kane:

--- Quote from: George Reiswig on May 22, 2024, 01:40:48 PM ---I was working in a small music store in the late 80's or early 90's and we started carrying Community cabinets. They sounded great compared to what we'd been using. I remember having to open one up to service something, though, and the crossover had a transformer core made of nails. Literally nails. Varnished together, then with wire wound around them. Nails.

--- End quote ---

Never seen that, but hey...if it worked.

We use a decent amount of Community for installations (which is pretty much all they make now). Always sounds good, is well built, and handles abuse well.

To the OP, their parts people are good and we've never had issues obtaining oddball pieces, even for some of the older SLS series that's still kicking around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version