ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for console and wireless mic recommendations  (Read 1678 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Looking for console and wireless mic recommendations
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2024, 07:40:51 PM »

At the small, low/un-paid bands the OPs working with, wireless is rarely likely to be required or sophisticated.

Yes, true.  But I always cringe when a band decides to bring their own cheap wireless crap.  It's often the primary source of the problems.  And the solution is often just a piece of wire to bypass the wireless space... :)
Brian Jojade

Tsun Gwing-Kai

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 07:59:14 PM »

Yes, true.  But I always cringe when a band decides to bring their own cheap wireless crap.  It's often the primary source of the problems.  And the solution is often just a piece of wire to bypass the wireless space... :)

So this is actually common in the live sound industry?  I'd think that even if the band is bringing their own wireless, that some frequency coordination was done, and hopefully in advance before they show up.  I couldn't imagine the disaster that would happen if the band is bringing Shure BLX in G50 and the sound guys have QLX-D also in the same frequency range.  Can you say dropouts?

But then again, I come from an RF background and have worked for a manufacturer of telecom/networking gear.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2024, 11:40:12 PM »

So this is actually common in the live sound industry?  I'd think that even if the band is bringing their own wireless, that some frequency coordination was done, and hopefully in advance before they show up.  I couldn't imagine the disaster that would happen if the band is bringing Shure BLX in G50 and the sound guys have QLX-D also in the same frequency range.  Can you say dropouts?

But then again, I come from an RF background and have worked for a manufacturer of telecom/networking gear.

You will never get to do wireless coordintion in lounge acts.  It's throw and go, very common in the "industry"

Who do you intend to market to? 

You are still doing it, overcomplicating things.  Frequency bands?  Nobody will know what you are talking about and they will never hire you again.  They just want to drink and play.  That's the lounge level providers.  They also pay next to nothing. 

To move up to working ticketed shows you need experience. 

It would be shear insanity to purchase 20k worth of wireless gear without customers.

Are we providing technical information or emotional validation to a a fantasy?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tsun Gwing-Kai

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2024, 07:46:27 AM »

You will never get to do wireless coordintion in lounge acts.  It's throw and go, very common in the "industry"

Who do you intend to market to? 

You are still doing it, overcomplicating things.  Frequency bands?  Nobody will know what you are talking about and they will never hire you again.  They just want to drink and play.  That's the lounge level providers.  They also pay next to nothing. 

To move up to working ticketed shows you need experience. 

It would be shear insanity to purchase 20k worth of wireless gear without customers.

Are we providing technical information or emotional validation to a a fantasy?

That is disappointing to know, but I guess it’s reality.  My buddies are mostly non-paid with the occasional St. Pat’s gig they got and most have never even mixed either.  Just love to play but we are all pretty technical.

I’ve got a few comedy shows I’ve wanted to put on for a while, was told grab a single wireless mic and a DM3 from the folks at GC, but I didn’t even have the ability to get one due to a back order.  Probably good as everyone’s telling me don’t buy gear.

When the number of shows I could possibly do > our group’s current gear, it makes sense to rent.  I just want to have a space to let a bunch of friends jam out and do comedy, singing, etc. without feeling like we have to be under pressure or paid right now.

I guess you are right, a lot of money to spend for just weekend fun.  But then again, one of my colleagues spent $70k on a boat.

Decisions, decisions.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2024, 08:35:46 AM »

I guess you are right, a lot of money to spend for just weekend fun.  But then again, one of my colleagues spent $70k on a boat.

Decisions, decisions.

This reminds me of a thread here from several years ago where someone was eager to drop six-figures on a line array rig just for the occasional bar gig he was hoping would eventually materialize...having no experience with wrangling such a rig whatsoever.  Naturally this too was bad idea and a complete waste of money (sound equipment generally depreciates) having no business plan to justify such an investment.  I think I saw the rig up for sale on Facebook Marketplace less than six months later...

I'm not one to judge how people spend their disposable income - some buy collector cars, others vacation homes, etc.  You're certainly welcome to do what makes you happy.  You just won't find much love for that here.  Most of us on this forum are either business owners, working professionals, etc., that buy/own/use equipment to support a viable business.  Purchases for said businesses are driven by use cases and what our customers are willing to pay for - very rarely for vanity.  In fact, most of us will tell you the best investments in this industry from an ROI perspective are staging, trussing, pipe & drape, electrical infrastructure, etc. - not mixers and speakers. 

For what it's worth - touching on your other thread - I too have a "day job" but run a successful side business that is both profitable and sees me being flown around the county for various pro/national events throughout the year.  It can absolutely be done, but as others have pointed out, just buying random equipment isn't the right way to go about this.  Starting with a business plan alongside getting tangible experience in the field will guide you to make the right investments to both grow your skills and your business.  Best of luck and hope this helps!

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2024, 10:09:13 AM »

I’ve got a few comedy shows I’ve wanted to put on for a while, was told grab a single wireless mic and a DM3 from the folks at GC, but I didn’t even have the ability to get one due to a back order.  Probably good as everyone’s telling me don’t buy gear.
A comedy night needs just a basic cheapo analog mixer and a wired dynamic mic.  Nothing more.

The talent would be more excited if you bother to source a round base mic stand than a wireless mic.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2024, 12:23:22 PM »

That is disappointing to know, but I guess it’s reality.  My buddies are mostly non-paid with the occasional St. Pat’s gig they got and most have never even mixed either.  Just love to play but we are all pretty technical.

When the number of shows I could possibly do > our group’s current gear, it makes sense to rent.  I just want to have a space to let a bunch of friends jam out and do comedy, singing, etc. without feeling like we have to be under pressure or paid right now.

Decisions, decisions.
So, these "buddies" that want to jam..... how many of them are there and what instruments do they play?

There are 2 uses cases you have presented:

1)  Comedy show
2)  Live Band

The comedy show can be easily covered with a little Behringer Flow 8 (~$300.00) and a wired SM58 (~$100) and a pair of Alto TS 412 speakers ($500 for the pair).

The live band, not so much; however, you still aren't looking at the kinds of gear we were previously talking about.  "New band" level gear is what you will be wanting IMO.

My recommendations:

Mixer (XR18 - $600) or splurge (CQ20 - $1000)
Vocal Microphones - Se V7 ($100ea X 3)
Guitar cab microphone - Sennheiser e609 ($100)
Bass DI ($50)
Kick Drum - Audix D6 ($200)
Toms - Sennheiser e406 clip on $100 ea x 3
Snare & High Hat - Shure SM57 ($100 x 2)

Cables, mic stands, speaker stands ($500)

Do you have front of house speakers and wedge monitors already?

All in all, it will cost around $5000-$10,000 for a good PA to have a band play through.  You can have a decent garage band setup for around $3000, but it wouldn't really be a great gig rig for a club.

You will also need some way to carry the PA.  Subs, tops, mixer, cable bags, guitars, drums, bass, keys, etc will require EITHER multiple large SUV's or a trailer to haul it all in.

The garage setup can be accomplished with a decent pair of 15" 2-way speakers and no monitors.  This can be carried in a small SUV.

I would definately stay away from wireless microphone systems for now.  Lots of cost, lots of potential issues ..... all on top of you guys learning how to setup a pa for a band and mix it.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2024, 05:43:14 PM »

So, these "buddies" that want to jam..... how many of them are there and what instruments do they play?

1)  Comedy show
2)  Live Band

The comedy show can be easily covered with a little Behringer Flow 8 (~$300.00) and a wired SM58 (~$100) and a pair of Alto TS 412 speakers ($500 for the pair).

The live band, not so much; however, you still aren't looking at the kinds of gear we were previously talking about.  "New band" level gear is what you will be wanting IMO.

My recommendations:

Bass DI ($50)

All in all, it will cost around $5000-$10,000 for a good PA to have a band play through.  You can have a decent garage band setup for around $3000, but it wouldn't really be a great gig rig for a club.

You will also need some way to carry the PA.  Subs, tops, mixer, cable bags, guitars, drums, bass, keys, etc will require EITHER multiple large SUV's or a trailer to haul it all in.

The garage setup can be accomplished with a decent pair of 15" 2-way speakers and no monitors.  This can be carried in a small SUV.

I would definately stay away from wireless microphone systems for now.  Lots of cost, lots of potential issues ..... all on top of you guys learning how to setup a pa for a band and mix it.
If you have to have a wireless get a cheaper white or Sennheiser for the lead singer. 

I didn’t buy Alex til I had customers for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tsun Gwing-Kai

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2024, 06:23:52 AM »

1)  Comedy show
2)  Live Band

My recommendations:

Bass DI ($50)

Thank you Scott!

I’ve decided, with the help from this forum, to not buy any more gear until I learn the trade better.

Current tops are KW153 from QSC and I will run them full range.  K12.2 for monitors.  I have one SM58, which can get me thru the comedy show, and might borrow or rent a small mixer like the Alto you recommended or a Yamaha MG10XU for starters

I have a truck, 5x8 utility trailer, and some round pole mic stands.  Was tempted to do one QLX-D with SM58 capsule but agree, the skill level < gear level at this moment.

With regards to the live band, it’s one drummer (6 mics), one keyboardist, one or two vocals, and a few self contained players with their own amps (guitar) and maybe even a synth fed into the PA.

I’m months away from that, so am taking the time to learn the ropes before I get too far in.  As of yesterday, a live sound guy of 20 years that heard my mixes with no experience said “not bad for a beginner”.  He could hear everything, no feedback, yes I cheated by cutting too much HF overall and using comps to account for the talent’s variations, but overall OK he said.

As mentioned in my other thread, I’ll be recording everything with a camcorder on a tripod at FOH so true professionals can critique my mixes.

Until then, I’m ready for the comedy show (only acquisition was a round base mic stand) and even if I can’t source a mixer, my K12.2 and KW153 have mic pre’s.

Just need to set levels on stage which means no remote adjustments can be made.  Aside from that, thanks for all the suggestions and advice for this newbie.

I look forward to growing my skills and posting back soon!

Tsun

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2024, 10:05:34 AM »

Wondering if the OP has any income stream from this audio "business", or if they're simply subsidising shows by providing free kit/labour?

It wouldn't be the first time...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2024, 10:05:34 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.