Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Generator along side shore power

<< < (2/3) > >>

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on May 17, 2024, 02:13:03 PM ---Or just use the genny.

--- End quote ---

This right here.  A single 15A circuit is definitely NOT worth the hassle of mixing power sources, and is only good for work lights for load-in/out. 

Mike Caldwell:
Did you mention the possible power issue to anyone?  If so did they say something like "that's what everyone uses"!
Are they expecting this to be a bigger type of show all on their one 15 amp outlet?

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on May 17, 2024, 02:13:03 PM ---Or just use the genny.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on May 17, 2024, 07:29:58 PM ---This right here.  A single 15A circuit is definitely NOT worth the hassle of mixing power sources, and is only good for work lights for load-in/out.

--- End quote ---

Bingo.  Just run the whole sumbich on generator and be done with it.

Mike Monte:

--- Quote from: Stephen Swaffer on May 17, 2024, 12:54:56 PM ---The tricky part is the outlet has grounds and neutrals separated-the genny may or may not have banded ground/neutral.  From a safety standpoint, tie the grounds together and you "should" be fine.  As long as equipment is modern, other than ill advised potentially short surge devices, the neutral shouldn't be connected to anything that matters anyway.

--- End quote ---

Several years ago I provided the rig/lights for a stage at an outdoor festival ....... the client supplied a generator.
All of my power amps (XS4300/K2/IT6000) worked except for one (an XTI4000 kept going into fault mode).  That amp was handling the low drivers in my 4-way rig.
I ran a cord to a hardwired outlet 100' away for the XTI amp and did the gig.  No issues at all mixing the power sources.

Your mileage may vary.

doug johnson2:
While I would recommend to just run off one source as well, would a "Poor Man's Distro" be a solution for bonding things in this situation?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version