ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator along side shore power  (Read 984 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Generator along side shore power
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2024, 09:56:04 AM »

It's all good until there is a failure of insulation, neutral bonding, or earthing.

Will there be voltage to our devices?  Yes.  Is it safe?  You'll have to watch Marathon Man...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 02:40:26 PM »

It's all good until there is a failure of insulation, neutral bonding, or earthing.

Will there be voltage to our devices?  Yes.  Is it safe?  You'll have to watch Marathon Man...

Exactly why I wouldn't do it.  If house supplied power is insufficient, then bring in a power source that is.

Mix and Match with electricity is a bad idea.

I may consider lights on the house line and sound on the generator - but, first choice is to run it all off of a generator and not touch the house supplied power.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2024, 03:22:54 PM »

Exactly why I wouldn't do it.  If house supplied power is insufficient, then bring in a power source that is.

Mix and Match with electricity is a bad idea.

I may consider lights on the house line and sound on the generator - but, first choice is to run it all off of a generator and not touch the house supplied power.
"Pardon me, neighbor, might I borrow a barrel of megawatts?" 8)

I've been venue electrician for a televised, scripted form of athletic entertainment where the arena and live audience is part of the set and dressing, but the real product is the TeeVee stuff.  Redundant generator sets that power all tour needs, with 1200 amps 208 3ph from venue to the transfer switch.  Somewhere in between was the biggest damn "UPS" battery bank I've seen that wasn't bolted down.  In winter this has to be in conditioned space, and I recall a bigger-than-usual fork truck brought it to move it.

But yeah, shore power was the 3rd choice... I guess grid electrons ain't good enough for some folks!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2024, 03:45:19 PM »

Yeah, on the big boy shows, bringing your own power to a venue is common. That way you KNOW what you're dealing with. House power is the emergency backup instead of the other way around.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2024, 03:45:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.