Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

SuperCAT Cables?

(1/3) > >>

Jeff Lelko:
Greetings,

I'm curious to hear anyone's experience or thoughts regarding the SuperCAT ethernet cables sold by Sound Tools.  While I'm naturally hesitant to buy into the notion of "premium" cables, I know Dave Rat has a respected reputation in the industry and tend to believe his cables are indeed manufactured with professional duty in mind.  I'm posting this in the LAB versus the Lounge as I'm more interested in professional performance and reliability compared to just price and weekend warrior duty.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Robert Healey:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on May 15, 2024, 06:49:12 PM ---Greetings,

I'm curious to hear anyone's experience or thoughts regarding the SuperCAT ethernet cables sold by Sound Tools.  While I'm naturally hesitant to buy into the notion of "premium" cables, I know Dave Rat has a respected reputation in the industry and tend to believe his cables are indeed manufactured with professional duty in mind.  I'm posting this in the LAB versus the Lounge as I'm more interested in professional performance and reliability compared to just price and weekend warrior duty.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Without having hands on experience yet, the pricing isn't very far off from other industry manufacturers for shielded Cat5e with Ethercon ends - Whirlwind, Lex, TMB, etc. The higher-end Whirlwind product is actually quite a bit more expensive (see Whirlwind ENC2S050 vs Sound Tools SC12-15). I would love to try one and see if it really feels like a mic cable.

Erik Jerde:
Iíve used them for X/M32 work with solid results.  Good hand feel considering the bulk in them.  Havenít had a single AES-50 issue with a 100í length.  Absolutely would buy again and have recommended them to others for a few years now and havenít heard back of any negative experiences.  The new cable specifically designed with AES-50 in mind looks good.  Iíll be buying one next time I need a new cable for that use.

Thomas Le:
I'm about to buy another 100ft to make mine 200ft with the neutrik coupler, works great for my SQ5 + AR2412. Lays flat and coils like a mic cable.

Riley Casey:
From what I've experienced and read it might be better to just buy a 200 foot section. The couplers are problematic in terms of degrading the electrical characteristics for transmission.

--- Quote from: Thomas Le on May 16, 2024, 11:20:45 AM ---I'm about to buy another 100ft to make mine 200ft with the neutrik coupler, works great for my SQ5 + AR2412. Lays flat and coils like a mic cable.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version