Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Behringer Wing Rack release

<< < (2/7) > >>

John Schalk:

--- Quote from: Eric Deweese on May 13, 2024, 09:19:42 PM ---With the news of the inevitable, the Wing Rack's release...

--- End quote ---
I don't see news of an actual release date for the Wing Rack.  All a Google search turned up for me were the same teaser images and some speculation in a Reddit post.  Is there an actual release date?

FWIW - We are trying to wait on the Wing Rack before buying any additional control surfaces.  Its 16 channels of automix are of particular interest to us as well as the 24 onboard mic pres.

Edit to add: The Wing is a 40 channel mixer, not 48.  It has 40 fully configurable, stereo control channels and 8 aux inputs with reduced processing.

Kevin Maxwell:

--- Quote from: John Schalk on May 14, 2024, 09:55:11 AM ---I don't see news of an actual release date for the Wing Rack.  All a Google search turned up for me were the same teaser images and some speculation in a Reddit post.  Is there an actual release date?

FWIW - We are trying to wait on the Wing Rack before buying any additional control surfaces.  Its 16 channels of automix are of particular interest to us as well as the 24 onboard mic pres.

Edit to add: The Wing is a 40 channel mixer, not 48.  It has 40 fully configurable, stereo control channels and 8 aux inputs with reduced processing.

--- End quote ---

What do you want AutoMix for?

Automix is not designed to do anything with music it will sometimes seem to work but then it may makeup its own mind to do something that you are not expecting. It is meant for dealing with a bunch of people speaking, like on a panel discussion.

Eric Deweese:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on May 14, 2024, 07:06:12 AM ---Yep, that's how dLive works.  The brain lives in the Mixrack, and surfaces can be connected over ethernet or fiber from wherever they need to be located.  Wireless control from tablets or laptops is also easily accommodated and as you mention, should any of this drop out or disconnect the rack still passes audio.  I've been a very happy dLive owner/user since 2018 and have no intentions of switching out to anything else anytime soon.

--- End quote ---

I am aware of D-Live and the product line capabilities. IMO the fear that an SQ rack would compete too much with their D-Live product line will only hurt them long term on product revenue. Not to worry, another company will put their product in that market and suck all the money from them instead. Feature set of the B will once again win out over something else that would have had better components and build quality for a reasonable price increase. A price increase that I would have been happy to pay... The D-Live is too much for that particular market IMO, if it wasn't why does the SQ range exist at all?

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Eric Deweese on May 14, 2024, 12:41:45 PM ---I am aware of D-Live and the product line capabilities. IMO the fear that an SQ rack would compete too much with their D-Live product line will only hurt them long term on product revenue. Not to worry, another company will put their product in that market and suck all the money from them instead. Feature set of the B will once again win out over something else that would have had better components and build quality for a reasonable price increase. A price increase that I would have been happy to pay... The D-Live is too much for that particular market IMO, if it wasn't why does the SQ range exist at all?

--- End quote ---

As Jeff mentioned, and as A&H told me - there are two types of rack-only mixers.  There's cheap ones (Behringer/Midas), and there's pro ones (dLive).  Since SQ has dLive brains, with some features turned off - bringing out an SQ-Rack would be a CDM-32 essentially with a few software features turned off.  That would put it in the Pro category, with a Pro price, and would cannibalize the CDM line.  Turning off a few features in software doesn't save any real cost.

If you want a cheap class, rackmount mixer from A&H - the Qu-Pac is it.  The Qu isn't quite up to the X/M32 level though, but it's the same general class.

The real issue is that too many people consider the X/M32 family "pro", when it isn't.  It's great for the price, but it's still MI level.  I don't support the Tribe, so for basic portable use - CQ-20B.  For Pro use, dLive, with any interface you want (iPad, computer, surface). 

Nate Zifra:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on May 13, 2024, 09:37:31 PM ---
What's really missing is the ability to add real control surfaces to these devices.  The x32 rack can be controlled beautifully with the x-touch, but that's hardly a conveniently laid out controller.  If they would offer a control surface that had all of the functionality of their mixers but controlled the rack itself, that would be amazing.  Now the audio never has to travel to FOH. A lost connection means signal keeps passing.  Keep all audio and processing on stage where it belongs.  Ethernet control from wherever is ideal.

Come on Behringer. You're soooo close.  Update the firmware on your consoles already to give us this functionality!!

--- End quote ---

For the record, many are already doing with with Mixing Station and your hardware controller of choice (XTouch, Waves FIT, etc). The major benefit is, once invested in the hardware, you can use the controller and a device with Mixing Station installed, on any console that is compatible with Mixing Station (XM32, Wing, DLive, Avantis, SQ, Soundcraft, Yamaha TF, etc)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version