Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Behringer Wing Rack release

<< < (7/7)

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Jon Dees on May 18, 2024, 10:16:15 AM ---If you want to get spicy you can try an iLive now that Mixing Station supports it. $1500 for an iDR-48 on eBay today (plus $900 for a Dante card).

I want them to sell a software ‘upgrade’ (and downgrade) for the AHM-64 to turn it into an SQ rack. No new hardware, just marketing expense.

--- End quote ---
There's an iLive T112 plus iDR-48 for $2500 also.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Craig Hauber on May 15, 2024, 02:12:06 AM ---I guess I'm not a "pro" then.
I use X/M32.

My income comes from doing live event sound, occasional lights and less frequently video.  (Sometimes all at once.)
My crew gets paid and want to come back, no outstanding loans or iou's, cc balance zeroed monthly.
I have happy repeat clients, audiences are always satisfied and venues make money with reasonable ticket prices.
All this because I use "not pro" X/M32 family products and by not being in debt for a "dangling carrot" that usually costs more than a house around here.

I used to bag heavily on that manufacturer up until this very moment when I just now realized what they have enabled me to accomplish.
So here's to the X32 and allowing us MI amateurs to practice our art.

--- End quote ---

This is the sweet spot to be in for a small local operator.  PAID FOR - everything including trucks.  It doesn't take bleeding edge high end gear, it takes decent RELIABLE gear to get paid and move on to the next job.

A good solid business model and owning your gear is far more important that brand x vs brand y stupidity.

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on May 18, 2024, 11:31:06 PM ---This is the sweet spot to be in for a small local operator.  PAID FOR - everything including trucks.  It doesn't take bleeding edge high end gear, it takes decent RELIABLE gear to get paid and move on to the next job.

A good solid business model and owning your gear is far more important that brand x vs brand y stupidity.

--- End quote ---
I often call band management back and tell them I can meet their rider but it will cost them more than the band's contracted rate and the promotor would rather just get another band  -The "joys" of living in the middle of nowhere 10 hours from the nearest real gear rental houses!
So suddenly my M32 becomes acceptable and the show goes on with everyone happy.
-It's just frustrating to see the tools you use be deemed "not-pro" on here when it was such a big deal for me to acquire on the income possible in this region.

I'm personally of the opinion that getting the latest and greatest digital console is not a wise business decision for around here and I see no way of it ever paying for itself (the over $100k ones)  And honestly beyond bulk channel count are the sonic improvements and fiddly additional features really worth the additional $100,000 over an M32/Wing/SQ level console?  I'm of course talking the Digico/Rivage/S6L level of consoles fully optioned-out -what many say "your business needs to have" and what band engineers say they need.
I just go for the lowest on their list which is usually M32 and spend my time instead hunting down the exact backline requested.  I've found that iffy PA substitutions get ignored when everything else is perfect for the performers!
(anyone want to freight me a Ludwig Classic Maple set?  -not having any regional luck with that one! -lol)

Steve-White:
^^^ Yep.  I have more invested in quality wireless gear than consoles.

Kevin Maxwell:

--- Quote from: Craig Hauber on May 19, 2024, 01:33:40 AM ---I often call band management back and tell them I can meet their rider but it will cost them more than the band's contracted rate and the promotor would rather just get another band  -The "joys" of living in the middle of nowhere 10 hours from the nearest real gear rental houses!
So suddenly my M32 becomes acceptable and the show goes on with everyone happy.
-It's just frustrating to see the tools you use be deemed "not-pro" on here when it was such a big deal for me to acquire on the income possible in this region.

I'm personally of the opinion that getting the latest and greatest digital console is not a wise business decision for around here and I see no way of it ever paying for itself (the over $100k ones)  And honestly beyond bulk channel count are the sonic improvements and fiddly additional features really worth the additional $100,000 over an M32/Wing/SQ level console?  I'm of course talking the Digico/Rivage/S6L level of consoles fully optioned-out -what many say "your business needs to have" and what band engineers say they need.
I just go for the lowest on their list which is usually M32 and spend my time instead hunting down the exact backline requested.  I've found that iffy PA substitutions get ignored when everything else is perfect for the performers!
(anyone want to freight me a Ludwig Classic Maple set?  -not having any regional luck with that one! -lol)

--- End quote ---

I make my living as a Freelance Audio Eng. and I have for a long time. I am a Professional. I think that the better term for what some are calling a Pro mixer would be the “Big Boy” mixers or something like that. There are a lot of pros that aren’t using the “Big Boy” mixers. Because there are a lot of times that the “Big Boy” mixers are not needed.

But back to the WING Rack. The number of local XLR inputs surprised me. But I guess it is for someone that is using just the Rack for a show and not part of a Monitor system along with a full size WING at FOH. I have 2 clients (Churches) that the WING Rack would be a really good replacement for the X32Rack that they are using for IEM monitors. From what I understand it will use the same firmware as the Full sized WING.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version