Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Behringer Wing Rack release

(1/7) > >>

Eric Deweese:
With the news of the inevitable, the Wing Rack's release, it begs the question... Why hasn't A&H ever released a SQ series rack... or any other manufacturer for that matter tackled a "pro level/acceptable" rack mount mixer that would take care of most band's needs that are self contained?

This release I fear will catch other manufacturers with their proverbial pants down... AGAIN.  A 48 channel capable mixer with the ability to handle 12+ stereo IEM mixes and access to quality compressors/FX has been something missing in the market for a while IMO.

I just want to live in a world where behringer exists less.

Brian Jojade:
Well, in the entry level space, lots have the little box mixers. Smaller than rack mount, but can have rack ears added.

In the 3 U rack space, there's the X32 rack. Yamaha has the TF rack which is a close competitor, but to expand it you need to add the Dante card. The X32 has AES50 built right in, OR you can add Dante.

Allen and heath has the Qupac, but only one dsnake port and no Dante option. Also the STUPID shape that they made the thing makes it not rack mountable in my opinion.

The Wing Rack looks to be a beautiful expansion of the X32 rack.  Yeah, nobody's touching them in that space.  48 channels would be super handy to have available at times, although making it 4u does kinda suck.  A 3U version that used external I/o would better suit my needs, but whatever.

What's really missing is the ability to add real control surfaces to these devices.  The x32 rack can be controlled beautifully with the x-touch, but that's hardly a conveniently laid out controller.  If they would offer a control surface that had all of the functionality of their mixers but controlled the rack itself, that would be amazing.  Now the audio never has to travel to FOH. A lost connection means signal keeps passing.  Keep all audio and processing on stage where it belongs.  Ethernet control from wherever is ideal.

Come on Behringer. You're soooo close.  Update the firmware on your consoles already to give us this functionality!!

Dave Guilford:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on May 13, 2024, 09:37:31 PM ---
What's really missing is the ability to add real control surfaces to these devices.  The x32 rack can be controlled beautifully with the x-touch, but that's hardly a conveniently laid out controller.  If they would offer a control surface that had all of the functionality of their mixers but controlled the rack itself, that would be amazing.  Now the audio never has to travel to FOH. A lost connection means signal keeps passing.  Keep all audio and processing on stage where it belongs.  Ethernet control from wherever is ideal.

--- End quote ---

Yes exactly.  Iíve wanted this for a long time.  Presonus sort of did this with the Cs18 , but well .. presonus.  Iím pretty sure the A&H stuff has been doing this .. brains in the rack and control at FOH.  But itís too expensive for a little guy like me.

Bonus points if the control surface can connect via WiFi to eliminate cat5 run.  I guess I just want a large iPad with tactile controls.

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: Eric Deweese on May 13, 2024, 09:19:42 PM ---...Why hasn't A&H ever released a SQ series rack...

--- End quote ---

Because they already did one better - dLive.  At least back before the apocalypse the entry level CDM32 could be had for a very reasonable investment, and if more option cards are needed the fleshed-out DM32 was also an option.  Granted it's no $1,999 weekend warrior mixer, but for those like myself wanting a rack-only solution with all the advanced features needed in a professional deployment the dLive ecosystem fits the bill nicely.

I believe A&H has gone on record saying that an SQ-Rack will never happen as it doesn't align with their product marketing structure - i.e. it'll compete with dLive C Class too much...

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on May 13, 2024, 09:37:31 PM ---What's really missing is the ability to add real control surfaces to these devices.  The x32 rack can be controlled beautifully with the x-touch, but that's hardly a conveniently laid out controller.  If they would offer a control surface that had all of the functionality of their mixers but controlled the rack itself, that would be amazing.  Now the audio never has to travel to FOH. A lost connection means signal keeps passing.  Keep all audio and processing on stage where it belongs.  Ethernet control from wherever is ideal.

--- End quote ---

Yep, that's how dLive works.  The brain lives in the Mixrack, and surfaces can be connected over ethernet or fiber from wherever they need to be located.  Wireless control from tablets or laptops is also easily accommodated and as you mention, should any of this drop out or disconnect the rack still passes audio.  I've been a very happy dLive owner/user since 2018 and have no intentions of switching out to anything else anytime soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version