Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Practical experience comparing Yamaha DZR315 vs RCF NX985 vs NXL24a

(1/4) > >>

JohnPinchin:
I'm thinking about a change of system and looking at a modular flexible rig  - 4x 18" subs, 2x 3-way tops and 2x 12" tops

Yamaha DZR315 over 2 x DXS18XLF on each side, that I could scale down to one DZR12 + 1 DXS18 on each side

or

RCF NX985 over 2 x 8003 subs that I could drop to an NX932 over one 8003 on each side.

This should give me options for gigs from 100 to 500 people but I'd like to know more about the 3 way tops in real world use if anyone has compared them. 

EDIT - I should add in the UK we are more limited and brands like bassboss, danley etc are hard to get hold of, so brands like HK Audio, JBL, RCF are more common for this level of gig.
EDIT - Also interested in comparing 3 ways tops with column array tops like the NXL24

John Schalk:

--- Quote from: JohnPinchin on May 13, 2024, 07:03:41 PM ---I'm thinking about a change of system and looking at a modular flexible rig  - 4x 18" subs, 2x 3-way tops and 2x 12" tops

Yamaha DZR315 over 2 x DXS18XLF on each side, that I could scale down to one DZR12 + 1 DXS18 on each side

or

RCF NX985 over 2 x 8003 subs that I could drop to an NX932 over one 8003 on each side.

--- End quote ---
I have not used either one of these, but I thought I'd point out that the Yamaha DZR315 has a 75 x 50 pattern, while the RCF 985 is a 100 x 60 box.  If you are planning to only have a single main speaker per side, and you're going after outdoor shows, then the RCF box is probably the better tool because of its wider nominal coverage pattern.  Also, given the narrower nominal coverage of the DZR315, that will tend to make it the louder box but only if you don't care about wider audience areas.  Conversely, you could scale up to use two DZR315s per side (spalyed apart), but that would not be recommended for the 100 degree RCF 985.  The RCF has Powercons, which is always nice :)

Bob Faulkner:

--- Quote from: JohnPinchin on May 13, 2024, 07:03:41 PM ---I'm thinking about a change of system and looking at a modular flexible rig  - 4x 18" subs, 2x 3-way tops and 2x 12" tops

or

This should give me options for gigs from 100 to 500 people but I'd like to know more about the 3 way tops in real world use if anyone has compared them. 

EDIT - I should add in the UK we are more limited and brands like bassboss, danley etc are hard to get hold of, so brands like HK Audio, JBL, RCF are more common for this level of gig.

--- End quote ---
...just my observation

I have mixed on the DZR315 a few times; it's a very decent 3-way full-range speaker.  I have never heard the NX985 or the NX932; however, most all of my speakers are RCF and have been very pleased with all of them.  I do not own any 3-way cabinets.

With that said, what are you looking for in a 3-way speaker that would need a sub?  The 3-way cabinets you referenced are rather heavy.  If you plan on using a sub with every setup, I think a 2-way speaker would be a better option... lighter weight, most can be pole mounted (if needed), and I think (personally) the overall sound quality of the system, with the use of sub, is noticeably better compared to a 3-way and a sub combination.  I'm not sure if it's the number of crossovers in a 3-way w/sub setup, but there seems to be a bit more of a mid-bass muffled sound from about 100hz down.  Maybe it's a time-alignment issue between the sub and the low freq. driver on the the 3-way; for me, it has never sounded right (including a JBL SRX835 w/sub I mixed on years ago).

In general (from my perspective), 3-way speakers have always sounded pretty good (full-range) by themselves.  Adding subs just didn't seem to add too much value.

This is my personal opinion on what I have mixed on over the years.

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Bob Faulkner on May 15, 2024, 09:57:56 AM ---In general (from my perspective), 3-way speakers have always sounded pretty good (full-range) by themselves.  Adding subs just didn't seem to add too much value.

--- End quote ---

Interesting; I don't think I've heard this perspective before.  It may have to do with the price points represented?

My experience (larger systems) - always subwoofers, regardless of the main speakers.  I've never heard any main speakers, other than maybe Danley SM-100F, that could get by without a true subwoofer, and even that was "..... depending on application."

From all the speakers I've heard, keeping in mind higher price points, 3 way always sounded better than 2 way.  2 way always has compromises somewhere, depending on the drivers used.  Good 3 way covers all the bases. 

Whether or not paying more for a 3-way DZR or NX is worth it?  Probably not, as there are enough other compromises to hit those price points that 2 vs 3 way isn't the limiting factor.  Plus they aren't coaxial mounted drivers, so there are inherent phase issues as you go off-axis vertically. 

The step up in quality from something like DZR12 or NX932 (or NX945) - isn't the 3-way version of that same class, but stepping up a class.  NX9xx for lower cost applications, and TT25A or TTL4A for the higher class. 

I remember AB'ing QSC HPR153 vs TT25A; the TT was so much nicer. 

I'd also definitely go with fewer, higher quality, subwoofers.  A/B the RCF 9004/9006, and Bassboss VS21/Makara. 

Bob Faulkner:

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on May 15, 2024, 02:54:02 PM ---Interesting; I don't think I've heard this perspective before.  It may have to do with the price points represented?

--- End quote ---
Very possible.  I have never mixed on a anything more than the DZR315 and SRX835 (for 3-way cabinets).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version