Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Hobbling the Opening Act - in 2024?

(1/2) > >>

Dave Pluke:
Very disappointed to witness, in 2024, an Opening Act still being hobbled. I thought that practice had been put to rest decades ago.

Last night, State Farm Arena, Atlanta:
Cheap Trick opening for Heart

Granted, we were Stage Left, in the nosebleed section, but the Side Hangs were not activated, nor were the video screens on each side of the stage.

I understand not wanted to blow out the audience's hearing in advance, but why "cheat" a portion of the listeners out of hearing a proper mix rather than reflections off the Main Hangs? And how much would it have cost to have a Camera Op or two follow Zander and Nielsen around?

Both bands performed well, but the difference in Audio was night and day. Heart's production was very good. I can only wonder if insecurities drove the decisions.

Thanks for letting me vent,
Dave

John Roberts {JR}:
That's life in the big show...

I recall seeing Robben Ford as an opening act for Toto (last century) at an industry trade show concert...  Robben killed it, then when Toto came on they turned the PA up another 6+ dB SPL. I headed for the exits, but the girl I brought wanted to hear them play Rosanna, so we hung in the back doorway, then left. 

JR

Andrew Broughton:
Sounds more like a mistake than anything intentional on the part of the sound co. Likely nobody bothered to check that CT's routing included the side hangs.

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Dave Pluke on May 11, 2024, 12:20:35 PM ---Very disappointed to witness, in 2024, an Opening Act still being hobbled.
Last night, State Farm Arena, Atlanta:
Cheap Trick opening for Heart

I understand not wanted to blow out the audience's hearing in advance, but why "cheat" a portion of the listeners out of hearing a proper mix rather than reflections off the Main Hangs? And how much would it have cost to have a Camera Op or two follow Zander and Nielsen around?

--- End quote ---
Dave,

From what I could see and hear from this live video of that show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrFSGz2_-wg
the elder tricksters looked and sounded pretty hobbled in the performance.
Guitars and vocals off pitch past cringeworthy in too many spots to count.
Stage monitors and side fills still can't bring hearing to the deaf  :'(

Knowing what they look like now, Zander and Nielsen may have decided to not have their images blown up past life size ;)

I love much of their recorded music, but their live sound has seldom been much more than a "cheap trick" from what I've heard myself and from others who have provided production in the 5 plus decades they have been pounding it out.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Art Welter on May 11, 2024, 05:05:24 PM ---Dave,

From what I could see and hear from this live video of that show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrFSGz2_-wg
the elder tricksters looked and sounded pretty hobbled in the performance.
Guitars and vocals off pitch past cringeworthy in too many spots to count.
Stage monitors and side fills still can't bring hearing to the deaf  :'(

Knowing what they look like now, Zander and Nielsen may have decided to not have their images blown up past life size ;)

I love much of their recorded music, but their live sound has seldom been much more than a "cheap trick" from what I've heard myself and from others who have provided production in the 5 plus decades they have been pounding it out.

--- End quote ---

They are also insanely loud and it's common knowledge.   Had them twice and both times guitar amps turned up to kill and monitors were insane too.  Half the room left (this was a multi-day, multi room gig where folks could not leave) half the room left and it didn't faze them they just kept on peeling the paint off the walls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version