Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Locking mic stands

<< < (2/2)

Brian Jojade:
Good quality stands usually hold position much better than cheaper alternatives, especially if kept in good order.

A bit of gaff tape will add significantly to the stability, but make sure you don't leave any residue on the stand as that will gum up the clutch mechanism and make things worse over time.

Dave Garoutte:
I've made a couple of prototype self-tightening mic stand heads, with a conical clutch.  As they droop, they get tighter.  You raise them to loosen them.  Too weird for normal use, but great for overheads. Is there any interest?

Frank Koenig:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on May 15, 2024, 10:32:32 PM ---I've made a couple of prototype self-tightening mic stand heads, with a conical clutch.  As they droop, they get tighter.  You raise them to loosen them.  Too weird for normal use, but great for overheads. Is there any interest?

--- End quote ---

Elegant as always, Dave. And I love a split clamp -- the king of clamps. I'm curious as to what the friction surfaces in the clutch are, if it's not a trade secret 😊 Al on Al, or something else?

--Frank

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Frank Koenig on May 16, 2024, 10:47:13 AM ---Elegant as always, Dave. And I love a split clamp -- the king of clamps. I'm curious as to what the friction surfaces in the clutch are, if it's not a trade secret 😊 Al on Al, or something else?

--Frank
--- End quote ---

I'd have to take it apart, as it's been sitting in storage for a few years.  I think it's delrin, not a friction material.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version