Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

What person built preamps into the snake.

(1/2) > >>

Willy Traver:
I am trying to discover who I talked with back in the 1970's.  The guy had a slight paunch. He wore gray like a professional engineer. He built preamps into the snake.  Had a crapload of Phase Linear 700's which had window box fans blowing on them and heat sink panels constantly wiped down with wet towels.

Cannot remember which group. The sound system was much more interesting.

Andrew Broughton:
You mean an Active Split? They've been around for decades...

Brian Jojade:
Preamps built INTO the snake just seems like a nighmare of potential problems.

I can see why having the preamps on stage to have a higher signal level traveling down the snake, but if that were the case, a rack of external pre-amps would seem like a much better solution.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Willy Traver on May 01, 2024, 02:48:51 PM ---I am trying to discover who I talked with back in the 1970's.  The guy had a slight paunch. He wore gray like a professional engineer. He built preamps into the snake.  Had a crapload of Phase Linear 700's which had window box fans blowing on them and heat sink panels constantly wiped down with wet towels.

Cannot remember which group. The sound system was much more interesting.

--- End quote ---

Which coast?

I kind of remember someone in Cali doing something like this back in the Tycobrahe era, although in 1974 Tyco had their own modular power amp design.  I don't find a mention of the pre-amp snake in a quick look through my Tyco links that are still working, but I'm pretty sure it was in that group of live audio folks during the era.

Willy Traver:
Woah slow down a bit. I do not know exactly where the preamps were in relation to the snake. Just that he had a big silver (aluminum or stainless) box with the preamps he built. So it was probably just ahead of or part of the stage box for the snake. (I of course thought it was the snake stage box)

The show was at WIU (Macomb, IL) setup the long way in Western Hall (huge basketball court) lots of seating.  Impossible room.
The guy was emphatic that preamps close to the mic ahead of the long cable run were the way to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version