Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Ground termination in stage stringers

(1/2) > >>

Jon Dees:
I am making some stringers using Leviton 3099F-2E boxes, which have inlets, outlets and room for 2 receptacles. It appears that code and the approvals for the receptacles would like the grounds for all of these to be bonded in one bundle and then sent out to each receptacle. The line and neutral terminals are made for daisy chaining. To bond 4 stranded 12 AWG grounds together I could use multiple methods, but none seem adequately robust.

* Wire nuts appear to be acceptable, but I don’t see these as robust
* A copper crimp ring for grounds also appears to be acceptable, but I have never used these with stranded wire, much less 4 stranded wires. Is this something people have used? I could twist, crimp and then add solder to the crimped bundle?
* Spring/push to click Wagos and lever lock Wagos both appear to have nothing saying they can’t be used here, but they also don’t say you can put them in a box and have them rattle around a bit and that be ok. They have DIN rail mounts for Wagos, but no DIN rails (and maybe not enough room) in the rubbery boxes
If I had to choose, I would likely use lever lock Wagos due to ease of use and inspectability, but the lack of specific approval/verbiage makes me hesitate.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Paul Miller:
Wagos are the way to go. They won't be rattling around, there's very little room inside once assembled, and way too much cable stiffness to overcome.

Here's a pic during assembly of some boxes I built years ago. All 12 gauge stranded.

Jon Dees:
Thanks for the feedback. Looks really good.

--- Quote from: Paul Miller on April 30, 2024, 10:29:10 AM ---Wagos are the way to go. They won't be rattling around, there's very little room inside once assembled, and way too much cable stiffness to overcome.

Here's a pic during assembly of some boxes I built years ago. All 12 gauge stranded.

--- End quote ---

Daniel Levi:
If you did want to secure the Wago's then there are Wago boxes with slots for the Wago connectors but they might not fit in that application.
Wagos are great and it looks like 'muricans are starting to realise what we have known for a while.

Brian Jojade:
+1 on the wagos. That's what I've moved to as well in my boxes.  It's only been a couple of years, but no issues so far.  Way easier than the wire nuts I've used in the past.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version