ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground termination in stage stringers  (Read 776 times)

Jon Dees

Ground termination in stage stringers
« on: April 30, 2024, 09:18:14 AM »

I am making some stringers using Leviton 3099F-2E boxes, which have inlets, outlets and room for 2 receptacles. It appears that code and the approvals for the receptacles would like the grounds for all of these to be bonded in one bundle and then sent out to each receptacle. The line and neutral terminals are made for daisy chaining. To bond 4 stranded 12 AWG grounds together I could use multiple methods, but none seem adequately robust.

• Wire nuts appear to be acceptable, but I donít see these as robust
  • A copper crimp ring for grounds also appears to be acceptable, but I have never used these with stranded wire, much less 4 stranded wires. Is this something people have used? I could twist, crimp and then add solder to the crimped bundle?
  • Spring/push to click Wagos and lever lock Wagos both appear to have nothing saying they canít be used here, but they also donít say you can put them in a box and have them rattle around a bit and that be ok. They have DIN rail mounts for Wagos, but no DIN rails (and maybe not enough room) in the rubbery boxes

If I had to choose, I would likely use lever lock Wagos due to ease of use and inspectability, but the lack of specific approval/verbiage makes me hesitate.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Paul Miller

Re: Ground termination in stage stringers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 10:29:10 AM »

Wagos are the way to go. They won't be rattling around, there's very little room inside once assembled, and way too much cable stiffness to overcome.

Here's a pic during assembly of some boxes I built years ago. All 12 gauge stranded.

Jon Dees

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 11:45:05 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. Looks really good.

Wagos are the way to go. They won't be rattling around, there's very little room inside once assembled, and way too much cable stiffness to overcome.

Here's a pic during assembly of some boxes I built years ago. All 12 gauge stranded.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 12:54:55 PM »

If you did want to secure the Wago's then there are Wago boxes with slots for the Wago connectors but they might not fit in that application.
Wagos are great and it looks like 'muricans are starting to realise what we have known for a while.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 02:26:54 PM »

+1 on the wagos. That's what I've moved to as well in my boxes.  It's only been a couple of years, but no issues so far.  Way easier than the wire nuts I've used in the past.
Brian Jojade

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 12:45:36 PM »

Wagos are the way to go.

This phrase is how I will remember that these exist.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 12:45:36 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.