ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lavalier mic  (Read 1361 times)

Eileen Krause

Lavalier mic
« on: April 27, 2024, 10:16:59 PM »

Hi friends,
Looking for recommendations on a lavalier mic. Ugh… I know I know.   It’s not my choice but need it because the person using it has dexterity issues due to a stroke and it’s stressful for her to use headset and adjust it and move it etc.,   I haven’t used a lavalier in years as other pastor and presenters wear headsets.  I’m thinking cardioid and budget is $300.   She projects well so that helps.  Sanctuary is 45x45 and we don’t have worship band etc..  Someone mentioned Shure UniPlex to me.  I need to get it in place by Wednesday. Recommend?
Thanks
Eileen
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 10:30:10 AM by Eileen Krause »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Lavalier mic
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 10:45:24 PM »

Hi friends,
Looking for recommendations on a lavalier mic. Ugh… I know I know.   It’s not my choice but need it because the person using it has dexterity issues due to a stroke and it’s stressful for her to use headset and adjust it and move it etc.,   I haven’t used a lavalier in years as other pastor and presenters wear headsets.  I’m thinking Omni and budget is $300.   She projects well so that helps.  Sanctuary is 45x45 and we don’t have worship band etc..  Someone mentioned Shure UniPlex to me.  I need to get it in place by Wednesday. Recommend?
Thanks
Eileen

Look at a DPA headset microphone they are very light.  Tape it into place with a little bit of medical tape.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Eileen Krause

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 10:13:30 AM »

Look at a DPA headset microphone they are very light.  Tape it into place with a little bit of medical tape.
Thanks Scott.  Yes normally folks use headsets…. The user is an occasional special guest speaker and I was asked to honor this accommodation of “no headset”   Since this is my church I want to do my best to honor this. 

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 11:52:03 AM »

If this is a one off you could probably find a Shure MX185 very easily for rent from a local sound vendor or AV company. Those have been an industry standard for years

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 12:49:46 PM »

Thanks Scott.  Yes normally folks use headsets…. The user is an occasional special guest speaker and I was asked to honor this accommodation of “no headset”   Since this is my church I want to do my best to honor this.

Can you explain to them how poor they work?  Be better to put a cardioid on a stand in front of him. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Eileen Krause

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 03:13:27 PM »

Can you explain to them how poor they work?  Be better to put a cardioid on a stand in front of him.
Scott The church is liturgical type.. so not one position. 
the pastor walks in speaking, stands at an altar and stands off to the side speaking announcements etc..
She does know it’s not the best best..but honestly It might not be the “perfect” audio but we will all be inspired by her recovery from stroke and her resuming her work as a Regional leader in our denomination.  I think I can make it work.  Thanks for your responses.
By the way I’m reading the other thread down page on lav mic problems..  Mercury must be in retrograde
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 03:15:42 PM by Eileen Krause »

Eileen Krause

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 03:21:32 PM »

If this is a one off you could probably find a Shure MX185 very easily for rent from a local sound vendor or AV company. Those have been an industry standard for years
Thanks Riley,
Yeah. Think I can borrow one from a local AV buddy.  I was looking at the newer Shure UL4/C
I found out that this person will be making visits maybe 10 Sundays per year.. so I might as well get it set.
I don’t know anyone thats using UL4….  Thanks for input.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 03:58:12 PM by Eileen Krause »

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2024, 03:23:19 PM »

I think it's called the WL-185 these days... cardiod lav, good sound, kind of big (corporate AV people call them "bumblebees") but they do sound good. Definitely an industry standard and very good value for the money.  Not too difficult to rewire for other brands of wireless, too.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2024, 03:30:24 PM »

Scott The church is liturgical type.. so not one position. 
the pastor walks in speaking, stands at an altar and stands off to the side speaking announcements etc..
She does know it’s not the best best..but honestly It might not be the “perfect” audio but we will all be inspired by her recovery from stroke and her resuming her work as a Regional leader in our denomination.  I think I can make it work.  Thanks for your responses.
By the way I’m reading the other thread down page on lav mic problems..  Mercury must be in retrograde
Regardless of where Mercury happens to be at the moment:

Loudest sound at the mic, wins.  Keeping the desired sound the loudest at the mic is mostly on the microphone user.  From C-Suite execs to interns, the physics does not change.  Some head/earset mics are more visually intrusive or have various wearing complications that make them less desirable for certain users and I fully understand that.  What I don't understand (after years in the biz, a minor in psyc, etc) are the folks that object to sounding the best they can because they "don't want to look like Madonna."  Trust me, 99.97% of users will absolutely NOT look like Madonna no matter what mic is used. ;)

And after all, this is about "The Message", right?  Then pitch mic choice as a ministerial matter - delivery of the message IS your ministry.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2024, 06:04:02 PM »

If lavs are not something you spend a lot of time using there is a recent thread further down the forum about the tips & tricks involved in using them . A really big part of getting useful performance out of them is dressing them properly on the presenter. If you don't have someone to do that every time the lav is used the results are going to be frustrating at best. Caveat two - if your $300 budget for a wireless lav thats where renting makes sense. Cheap wireless mics are worse than no mic. At least without a mic the expectations are reasonable.

Thanks Riley,
Yeah. Think I can borrow one from a local AV buddy.  I was looking at the newer Shure UL4/C
I found out that this person will be making visits maybe 10 Sundays per year.. so I might as well get it set.
I don’t know anyone thats using UL4….  Thanks for input.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2024, 06:04:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.