ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage Placement Subs  (Read 2168 times)

Nick Tims

Stage Placement Subs
« on: April 27, 2024, 07:03:40 AM »

Hello, I would like to make a configuration on the stage, namely: 4 speakers with 2 subwoofers will be on the stage and 4 subwoofers in the middle of the stage, I will have to add delay, but what do you think it will sound ok? Is it okay to place it like this?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Stage Placement Subs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 07:09:01 AM »

Hello, I would like to make a configuration on the stage, namely: 4 speakers with 2 subwoofers will be on the stage and 4 subwoofers in the middle of the stage, I will have to add delay, but what do you think it will sound ok? Is it okay to place it like this?
What is the purpose of placing them in this configuration? Have you modeled the coverage yet? I don’t see the purpose of the subs up on the stage having the line in front of the stage if properly delayed in an end fire configuration, can be steered to achieve certain coverage goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nick Tims

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 07:13:39 AM »

What is the purpose of placing them in this configuration? Have you modeled the coverage yet? I don’t see the purpose of the subs up on the stage having the line in front of the stage if properly delayed in an end fire configuration, can be steered to achieve certain coverage goals.

Because the tops will sit on the rod directly in them that's why I want to do this.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 08:34:47 AM »

Because the tops will sit on the rod directly in them that's why I want to do this.

If you are just using the subs on stage as a stand it will probably sound better if the stage subs are turned off.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 11:41:06 AM »

If you are just using the subs on stage as a stand it will probably sound better if the stage subs are turned off.
My thoughts exactly a last time I  checked speaker stands are cheaper than subs.

If appearance is an issue a couple of sticks of truss, baseplates and top plates plus a couple of truss warmers (triangular LED lights that fit inside the truss) give a very sophisticated look.

To the OP are you delaying this subs individually? 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 08:27:36 PM »

What speakers are you going to delay and why?  What are you trying to accomplish?

Delay can both help and hurt at the same time, it depends on what is most important.

Do you understand what different delays on different speaker can do?  Do you have the tools and knowledge to properly measure the results?

Delays for subs and delays for tops to subs are done for different reasons.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 02:18:57 AM »

What speakers are you going to delay and why?  What are you trying to accomplish?

Delay can both help and hurt at the same time, it depends on what is most important.

Do you understand what different delays on different speaker can do?  Do you have the tools and knowledge to properly measure the results?

Delays for subs and delays for tops to subs are done for different reasons.

That was why I suggested to get some stands or truss segments for stage.  That would be a complicated array.  I don't think the OP knows about controlling pattern with delay because he hasnt responded to my questions in any detail.

Merlijn free spreadsheet is a great way to play with different configs. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 02:56:35 PM »

That was why I suggested to get some stands or truss segments for stage.  That would be a complicated array.  I don't think the OP knows about controlling pattern with delay because he hasnt responded to my questions in any detail.

Agreed; this is no longer a simple 2D issue, but 3D.  Not only that, but ground bounce from the subs on the stage is another negative variable into the mix that will change based on distances to various surfaces.

Since the subs on the stage are merely expensive speaker stands - do like others have suggested and invest in some type of stands (tripod or truss), put the subs on the floor, space no more than 6' apart center to center, and use a delay calc to set per-sub delay times. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 06:12:59 PM »

Good advice above.  If you are mixing ((by this meaning using) different brands of subwoofers together, without measuring equipment to determine phase relationships between the brands, you are asking for trouble.  At one time (for a long time) a positive voltage in a JBL sub caused the cone to move inward when with almost every other brand sub, a positive voltage caused the cone to move outward.  With two subs side by side, the bass would be mostly canceled due to the 180-degree phase differences.  It is even more complicated now due to the digital processing in most active subwoofers.  Phase relationship can vary greatly with frequency causing strong comb filtering when mixing brands.  More subs isn't always better.

Nick Tims

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 05:28:41 AM »

That was an idea, and yes I can measure distances, nothing is active, everything is passive, subwoofers are Void Stasys all.  The array tops are made by me , but I was curious if anyone had tried this placement.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 05:28:41 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.