ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Acoustic problem – Subwoofer cancellation in the Booth.  (Read 1007 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Acoustic problem – Subwoofer cancellation in the Booth.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 11:50:33 AM »

Exactly what I was thinking.  Keep in simple, if the house sounds good and it's a booth issue, then make it a booth solution.
If this is a cancellation node, then it's a crap shoot.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 04:42:15 PM »

If this is a cancellation node, then it's a crap shoot.

Easy enough to borrow/rent sub(s) for a little testing.  Doesn't work, no harm no foul.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2024, 06:08:17 PM »

Easy enough to borrow/rent sub(s) for a little testing.  Doesn't work, no harm no foul.

Yep.  In the order of "cost of being wrong", this is among the cheapest.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 02:01:46 AM »

You generally don't want sub from the main PA spilling into the booth, especially if the DJ is mixing. Put a sub in the booth and call it a day. Usually it's the opposite, which is a problem for mixing when there is a delay in the Main subs.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 08:05:57 AM »

Without knowing a bit more details, it sounds like one possible problem is simply room modes.

They are freq dependent areas that are based on the height/width and depth of the room, with the ceiling being generally the dominate mode producer.

If this is the problem (I have seen it numerous times), you have 2 solutions.  Either move the DJ booth or change the physical size of the building.

A local sub in the booth might help, but that could cause problems elsewhere-such as on the dance floor.

The BEST idea is to figure out why the null is there/what is causing it, and attack that.  Or you can take random guesses and hope one of them will work.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2024, 12:52:06 PM »

Thank you for all of the replies.

We went to the Venue on Saturday and made some adjustments to the DJ part of the system. In the DJ feed in the DSP we reduced the level of the Subwoofer feeds so they are not as accentuated as they had been. There is still some cancellation in the booth but now since the sub level isn’t as overkill on the dance floor as long as the DJ doesn’t crank up the bottom end of their feed, it is more reasonable. Still kicking but not ridiculous.

I had brought a couple of 2’x4’ acoustic panels along to test to see if they would affect the sound in the booth.  I tried placing my acoustic panels in different places in the booth and if I put them on the back wall of the booth the Subs came to life in there a little bit more then without them. So to me it sounds like the sub frequencies are canceling acoustically off the walls in the Booth.

I had placed a call to an acoustic consultant that I have been aware of for years and is known by other friends in the audio business. I am not mentioning his name or his company on purpose. I left a message but he never got back to me. He lives not far from this venue and from looking on his website he seems to be reasonably priced. I think he is semi-retired and doesn’t run the company he started that makes a bunch of different types of acoustic treatments. But I am not sure if the venue Manager/part owner of this venue is in a position to spend more money at the moment. 

To answer some of the comments. The DJ part of this doesn’t have turntables but the DJ can bring them and tie into the system. There really isn’t enough room in the booth to set up the standard DJ coffin that a DJ might bring. So if they setup outside of the booth then they might have a skip problem. I am not a DJ and I try not to work with them so I may be using the wrong terms here.   

The butt kicker or more preferably that type of transducer mounted underneath the Booth right where they stand might help. The chances are they won’t be sitting at all. I have one that attaches to a drum stool for use with an electronic drum set and if set right it works great if set wrong it is an annoying butt massage. I got it when a church stopped using an electronic drum set and went back to acoustic drums. I don’t use it at all.

I am not sure that I would say that the booth design was to save money. I think it was just what the owner wanted and had no idea that it wasn’t the best design. The main owner (there are a few people involved) owns the entire strip where this venue was built. ONE of his restaurants is at the other end of this strip. It is very high end, not the kind of place I go to regularly. But the chef of that restaurant once brought a large amount of a Pasta dish to us for lunch as we were working, it was great. 

There is a speaker that the DJs can use in the booth if they want to. There is no place in the booth for a Subwoofer and I would worry that it would interact with the room subwoofers. Also I don’t think the manger thinks this is enough of a problem to pay for the addition of that. I am worried that a DJ might think there isn’t enough low end and boost it to compensate. I realize that the DJ may not listen to the manager telling them to walk out of the booth and just listen to how it sounds in the room.

I probably should have said at the beginning of all of this that they are not really aware of the sub cancellation in the booth. Their issue was how loud the subs are in the room and complaints from outside the venue because it was so powerful in there. I was the one who was concerned that if the DJ in the Booth doesn’t hear the low end in the Booth that they will try and compensate and boost up the low end making it too loud on the dance floor and everywhere else. After we were done with the changes we made, we cranked the system and I walked outside to listen and I didn’t hear any of the music that we were playing outside of the venue. I didn’t try it with the door open to see what the difference was. 

So for now we will see how thing go there (after the changes we made) and deal with them if they have a complaint.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2024, 12:52:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.