ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: M 32c question  (Read 4686 times)

John Schalk

Re: M 32c question
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2024, 10:40:17 AM »

EDIT: In watching the video again scanning to where he did the KT cable (it has been a while) he had no issue with 50 and even 100 meters of the KT. Only when he went over 100 he had issues.   KT100meter
Douglas,

If you watch Dave test for ESD interruptions using his sparker on the KT cable you will see that he manages to cause a drop-out with only a single 50m spool of the cable.  This happens as 12:12 in the video you linked.  Granted, it happens when he's sparking the Midi ports (I think) which may not be a realistic test, but he could repeatedly induce ESD once he went to 100m (2 spools and 1 coupler).  It also seems like it's easier for him to induce ESD at the stagebox than it is at the console.

For our needs, running around the edges of large ballrooms, 50m is not enough cable.  The LyxPro cable that we are using is sturdy, but I don't have the necessary test equipment to measure its insertion loss at 250'.  I suspect that it may be close to the -24dB figure that is the critical number for a stable AES50 connection.  The search continues :)

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2024, 08:57:42 AM »

Douglas,

If you watch Dave test for ESD interruptions using his sparker on the KT cable you will see that he manages to cause a drop-out with only a single 50m spool of the cable.  This happens as 12:12 in the video you linked.  Granted, it happens when he's sparking the Midi ports (I think) which may not be a realistic test, but he could repeatedly induce ESD once he went to 100m (2 spools and 1 coupler).  It also seems like it's easier for him to induce ESD at the stagebox than it is at the console.

For our needs, running around the edges of large ballrooms, 50m is not enough cable.  The LyxPro cable that we are using is sturdy, but I don't have the necessary test equipment to measure its insertion loss at 250'.  I suspect that it may be close to the -24dB figure that is the critical number for a stable AES50 connection.  The search continues :)

I wish I knew how the Midi ports work in relation to the AES50 ports ground/ESD wise. If Midi cables were connected to the stage box to the desk would there still be a ESD drop out? Yet another variable that is not known.... I bet 50 meters of Daves cable would be great though.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2024, 08:57:42 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.