ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting PA/Keyboard to RCA inputs  (Read 186 times)

Warren Groenewald

Connecting PA/Keyboard to RCA inputs
« on: April 18, 2024, 08:53:48 AM »

Hello

We have a Yamaha P115 keyboard with [L/L+R] AUX OUT jacks, 1/4″ jacks.
Then we have a digital church organ connected to very good speakers, and the organ has [L/L+R] RCA inputs. Unfortunately we cannot easily get to the organs speakers to see what the amplifiers look like in terms of inputs, so our best bet is connecting directly to the organ inputs at this stage.

There are two things I am trying to simplify with the least amount of extra things to switch on and balance sound/mixers/etc:
  • Be able to connect the Yamaha to the organ easily, this would need to be easy as possible as I won't always be there to set this up for the pianists
  • Be able to connect a small mixer to the organ, like the Mackie 402-VLZ4, for the odd occasion we want to send anything else over the organ speakers

I was considering running a single RCA cable (since mono is totally ok for this scenario) to a small box with a female 1/4″ jack port, but I'm uncertain that the output levels of the keyboard or mixer would be suitable to just run straight into this little box into the organ's RCA input, or if there is a more suitable option?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Connecting PA/Keyboard to RCA inputs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 11:29:08 AM »

RCA jacks are typically a -10db unbalanced input.

Outputs on mixers vary, with pro level XLR outputs typically being +4db (when reading 0 on the mixer.)

If your mixer has a higher output, you can either put a pad inline, or you simply run the meters lower, realizing the maximum input you should be using.

The 402 has RCA tape outputs, which the level isn't specified in the manual, but most likely would be -10db.  The tape outputs are paralleled to the main outputs and work the same way.  Easy cable and done. 

Of course, make sure the speakers can handle what you're sending to them.  Sometimes aux inputs are more sensitive and a full signal level will overdrive the speakers attached.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Connecting PA/Keyboard to RCA inputs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 11:29:08 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.