ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd IEM Behavior - I'm perplexed...  (Read 970 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Odd IEM Behavior - I'm perplexed...
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 12:35:34 PM »

We had a rehearsal last night and I set up our entire live rig in the studio. I also called Sennheiser support and talked with a cool guy there. He suggested some minor tweaks to squelch, sensitivity, and limiter settings, which I made. He also noted that it might be helpful to run bodypack volume relatively high - around 6 to 7 and allow the users to control their max volume from the app. Finally, he suggested revisiting our gain staging and vocal EQ to be sure a hot channel wasn’t dominating the others, and to eliminate the chance for any carrier tone problems.

Actually......many consider it's better to run the IEM transmitter fairly hot (not clipping driving it into limiting though) and then run the level on the pack lower adjusting that overall volume as needed.
Doing that can help your ears if there is a sudden blast of interference noise ect. If the pack is turned way up noise from any interference will be really loud.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 04:51:25 PM »

Thanks for everyone’s insights. Sorry for not responding - busy dealing with a flooded basement at home. So much fun…

We had a rehearsal last night and I set up our entire live rig in the studio. I also called Sennheiser support and talked with a cool guy there. He suggested some minor tweaks to squelch, sensitivity, and limiter settings, which I made. He also noted that it might be helpful to run bodypack volume relatively high - around 6 to 7 and allow the users to control their max volume from the app. Finally, he suggested revisiting our gain staging and vocal EQ to be sure a hot channel wasn’t dominating the others, and to eliminate the chance for any carrier tone problems.

We did all of that last night. I also asked everyone to reset their IEM mixes. We got through the night with no overt mutiny. We have a gig on Saturday and I’ll be bringing the MR18 just in case we need to revert to that. I’ll try to grab a show file and post it because I’m always open to learning how not to be a total screw up!

Thanks again!

Phil
Let us know how the gig went and if your problems were solved.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2024, 05:18:33 PM »

Actually......many consider it's better to run the IEM transmitter fairly hot (not clipping driving it into limiting though) and then run the level on the pack lower adjusting that overall volume as needed.
Doing that can help your ears if there is a sudden blast of interference noise ect. If the pack is turned way up noise from any interference will be really loud.

+1. Quiet IEM TXs + a little bad luck = permanent hearing damage.

Running the TXs hot also helps to keep the noise floor down (and the Sennheiser IEM TXs have a pretty forgiving/transparent input limiter).

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2024, 05:18:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.