ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coachella - Technology not having good day  (Read 1441 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Coachella - Technology not having good day
« on: April 13, 2024, 08:15:05 PM »

Accounts of Day/Night 1 are mentioning lots of "mic problems" and what appear to be IEMs not working.   I'm trying to imagine this cascading failure and how the problems reoccurred for almost every performer.

Anyone on the ground there?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Al Rettich

Re: Coachella - Technology not having good day
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 09:50:08 PM »

I can attest, going through that festival RF isn't easy there. Doesn't matter what equipment you're using.
Accounts of Day/Night 1 are mentioning lots of "mic problems" and what appear to be IEMs not working.   I'm trying to imagine this cascading failure and how the problems reoccurred for almost every performer.

Dave Stevens

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 12:25:15 AM »

One of our guys was on the RF crew last year.  They have a comprehensive policy and workflow.  The rub is if someone fires up out of turn or not following the plot KAOS will ensue. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 01:49:55 AM »

One of our guys was on the RF crew last year.  They have a comprehensive policy and workflow.  The rub is if someone fires up out of turn or not following the plot KAOS will ensue.
Dave!  Good to see you again!

KAOS?  We'd have to get Agent 99 and Maxwell Smart on it. ;)

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 06:55:56 AM »

Dave!  Good to see you again!

KAOS?  We'd have to get Agent 99 and Maxwell Smart on it. ;)

Who are you kidding? Wouldn't Max have started the cascade failure?  ::)

Nice to hear from the "Big Dog".  How are the Carts going?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 08:54:54 AM »

I think Nathan Short may be working there this year.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 06:16:55 PM »

More bad news:

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/article/grimes-set-technical-difficulty-coachella-19402352.php

I wonder what the hell is going on. To have such persistent problems, whatever they actually are, at this level of production seems so improbable. I hope we learn what happened so that it never happens again – to any of us.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 09:22:38 PM »

I wonder what the hell is going on. To have such persistent problems, whatever they actually are, at this level of production seems so improbable. I hope we learn what happened so that it never happens again – to any of us.
Unrealistic expectations about the amount of free radio spectrum in such close proximity. Too much reliance on technology and special effects in order to cover for the sheer lack of actual talent or musicality.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 10:52:12 PM »

Unrealistic expectations about the amount of free radio spectrum in such close proximity. Too much reliance on technology and special effects in order to cover for the sheer lack of actual talent or musicality.

At my more charitable I think of most 'concerts' these days as shows in the sense of musical theatre with less plot.

It's not enough to go out to sing and play your ass off, presenting well crafted songs with compelling performances and musicianship, under 120kW of conventionals with 4 house follow spots.  I hope I live long enough to witness the great retro revival... ;)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 12:12:45 AM »

At my more charitable I think of most 'concerts' these days as shows in the sense of musical theatre with less plot.

It's not enough to go out to sing and play your ass off, presenting well crafted songs with compelling performances and musicianship, under 120kW of conventionals with 4 house follow spots.  I hope I live long enough to witness the great retro revival... ;)
I mixed a show today for the Folk Legacy Trio, a group consisting of three former members of the Kingston Trio and an additional fellow they’ve know for decades: three singers, three guitars/banjo, and one double bass, no drums: 8 input channels total. It sounded amazing because the musicians were well rehearsed and sounded good singing and playing together and they played some great folk music spanning the history of our country.

Yesterday, I recorded the Mozart Requiem. Which again sounded amazing. About a month ago, I mixed a show for the Duke Ellington Orchestra, which sounded so good, that I was asked to run sound for another jazz concert for the college jazz orchestra in the same venue a few weeks later. Both of them were amazing performances by some very talented and skilled musicians, playing great compositions.

Also, yesterday I went to see a movie with my wife and daughter, the Suga D-Day tour movie: a K-Pop artist that they both like filmed during one his tours in South Korea. That show was utter garbage. It’s rap and hip-hop, but I couldn’t find a groove to save my life. And even though the lyrics were all in Korean, I couldn’t make out any of the actual syllables. No melodies, no harmony, and everything sounded like it was in the same key. But it had 800,000 moving lights, lasers, pyro, light up hand balls in the audience, 80 foot tall video screens, and enough strobe lights to cause seizures on Mars. It’s all flash and trash. Spectacle, and effects. But absolutely zero actual talent or art.

In a thousand years, we’ll still be playing the Mozart Requiem and Duke Ellington. Not so much for the garbage that qualifies as modern music these days.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 12:19:40 AM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 01:30:31 PM »

I mixed a show today for the Folk Legacy Trio, a group consisting of three former members of the Kingston Trio and an additional fellow they’ve know for decades: three singers, three guitars/banjo, and one double bass, no drums: 8 input channels total. It sounded amazing because the musicians were well rehearsed and sounded good singing and playing together and they played some great folk music spanning the history of our country.

Yesterday, I recorded the Mozart Requiem. Which again sounded amazing. About a month ago, I mixed a show for the Duke Ellington Orchestra, which sounded so good, that I was asked to run sound for another jazz concert for the college jazz orchestra in the same venue a few weeks later. Both of them were amazing performances by some very talented and skilled musicians, playing great compositions.

Also, yesterday I went to see a movie with my wife and daughter, the Suga D-Day tour movie: a K-Pop artist that they both like filmed during one his tours in South Korea. That show was utter garbage. It’s rap and hip-hop, but I couldn’t find a groove to save my life. And even though the lyrics were all in Korean, I couldn’t make out any of the actual syllables. No melodies, no harmony, and everything sounded like it was in the same key. But it had 800,000 moving lights, lasers, pyro, light up hand balls in the audience, 80 foot tall video screens, and enough strobe lights to cause seizures on Mars. It’s all flash and trash. Spectacle, and effects. But absolutely zero actual talent or art.

In a thousand years, we’ll still be playing the Mozart Requiem and Duke Ellington. Not so much for the garbage that qualifies as modern music these days.
Yup. 
I'm lucky in that our summer cookout series has highly talented artists doing their thing in a 400-700 cap beer garden.  Great PA, basic, theatrical lighting, great shows.  The promoter and crew take care that the artists are happy, the artists and staff take care that the audience is happy.  We had show last year where the band brought their own LD and lighting.  I really felt it detracted from the music.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dave Stevens

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 01:14:57 AM »

Hey gang.  Good to see the regulars still kicking.  Won’t be too long before we see full LED volumes like on a soundstage.  Grimes thing sounds like either a sampling rate error or some sort of tempo mismatch in whatever she’s using for playback.

John Bosco

• Haddam, CT - USA
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 07:44:33 AM »

Hey gang.  Good to see the regulars still kicking.  Won’t be too long before we see full LED volumes like on a soundstage.  Grimes thing sounds like either a sampling rate error or some sort of tempo mismatch in whatever she’s using for playback.

Welcome back Dave, long time!
"All I want is a good sandwich. You see this sandwhich here? This tuna sandwhich? That's all I want, a good sandwich." - John  Gotti

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 08:50:38 AM »

Good to be seen... ;)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 03:47:12 PM »

The promoter and crew take care that the artists are happy, the artists and staff take care that the audience is happy.  We had show last year where the band brought their own LD and lighting.  I really felt it detracted from the music.

The best Festival Artists have that "Festival Mindset". Quick changeovers, Line Checks and hit the ground running.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 03:47:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.