Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Live vocal FX done the right way?

<< < (4/4)

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Stephen Gregory on May 22, 2024, 12:05:05 AM ---As a guitar player, you probably know and love the unique tones that your rig produces, and wouldn't try to emulate that by running a DI into the X32. I feel the same way about vocals.

--- End quote ---

As a sound tech - the problem with vocals isn't stage-box versus console; it's quality of console.  Step above the X/M32 level into a "real" sound board and muso-controlled vocal FX is a liability, not an asset. 

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on May 22, 2024, 02:12:09 PM ---As a sound tech - the problem with vocals isn't stage-box versus console; it's quality of console.  Step above the X/M32 level into a "real" sound board and muso-controlled vocal FX is a liability, not an asset.

--- End quote ---

85% of the time regardless of the board I would say they are a liability.

George Reiswig:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on April 07, 2024, 11:46:24 AM ---(SNIP)
The following is a cut and paste of something I wrote about the sound of the reverb sounds in the X32/M32 mixers.
I donít like the stock reverbs for vocals but I actually like the stock settings for horns. To me it seems like all of the reverbs in the X32/M32 are basically the same with some slightly different parameters that you can use in some of them (just slight differences) in the differently named ones. But to me they all sound like they all use the exact same algorithm. My basic complaint (that I was able to find and change) was a weird tail to the reverb that seemed to have a repeat in it. (SNIP)

--- End quote ---

Funny you should mention this. I've had problems finding a good reverb setting on the X32 as well. In fact, the other day I ran into an old TC Electronics M-One rack processor, and I've been wondering about patching that in instead. It's been a minute since I used the thing, but I remember liking the quality of the reverbs in that unit. Might be worth getting a larger rack for the X32R just to have that perma-patched into one of the auxes.

Kevin Maxwell:
M32/X32 reverb Ė this is a copy and paste and edited version that I wrote before.

I donít like the stock reverbs for vocals but I actually like the stock settings for horns. To me it seems like all of the reverbs in the X32/M32 are basically the same with some slightly different parameters that you can use in some of them (just slight differences) in the differently named ones. But to me they all sound like they all use the exact same algorithm. My basic complaint (that I was able to find and change) was a weird tail to the reverb that seemed to have a repeat in it. Whenever I used them live it seemed like I kept turning it up to hear it do its thing and when I finally did hear it, it was too much. And I am one for subtly reverb. Unless the song calls for it I usually donít really push a reverb a lot.

I spent a lot of time with some peoples help (suggestions) and I was able to come up with reverb settings that I liked for vocals. I just never had the time before to tweak the settings in a way that worked for me. And then I had time and success. Here is a place where you can find these files https://www.facebook.com/groups/491627667640523/files/files look for ďEFX REV.zipĒ It includes 2 modified reverbs and the instructions of how to load them. If that doesnít work let me know. I don't know if you need to be a member of that Facebook group to get at that.

And just a suggestion, if you havenít tried it already, try EQing the send to the reverb and see how you like that. I think it is handy to not put into the reverb something you are then going to have to take out later. On the Mix Bus sends to the effects I use the high and low pass on the EQ (cut the highs and the lows that arenít needed) to get a more pleasant sound. I also compress the feed there so I can get the reverb more noticeable on the softer spots in the song and then it isnít too much as the song gets louder. The people I have demonstrated this trick of compressing the input into the reverb have really liked it. Also during the show I usually change the reverb time using shorter reverb time for fast songs and longer for slow songs and make sure that I am not over doing it with the reverb.

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on May 22, 2024, 07:03:02 PM ---..... and make sure that I am not over doing it with the reverb.

--- End quote ---

Thank you!  Can you teach this "trick" to the rest of the FOH engineers out there that haven't received the memo? 

Compressing the send - I'll have to try that sometim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version