ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worth a long shot....  (Read 1304 times)

Al Rettich

Worth a long shot....
« on: April 04, 2024, 03:03:24 PM »

Does anyone have rigging details for any smaller (3500 seat) amphitheaters? Even better if you have Fraze, PNC, Rose here in Southwest Ohio. Have a chance to help make a venue that the engineers and designers don't screw up.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Worth a long shot....
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 04:18:40 PM »

Does anyone have rigging details for any smaller (3500 seat) amphitheaters? Even better if you have Fraze, PNC, Rose here in Southwest Ohio. Have a chance to help make a venue that the engineers and designers don't screw up.

Just make a list of everything that needed done and wasn't and ever goofy thing that was done making the job harder at every placed you have worked?
Yea that could turn into a long list!!!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 05:14:13 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 05:04:41 PM »

First thing that springs to my mind:
- Load-in where everything can roll from the truck to the stage.
- Easy way to pull your own snake from stage to FOH.
- Points everywhere.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 05:21:05 PM »

For load in, both dock and street level.
Plenty of work light.
Easy power tie in, lugs, cams, CS 50amp Hubbell.
Handy restrooms.

Rick Earl

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 05:47:30 PM »

I was asked to come up with similar specs for an arena, I did, they laughed and said it was ridiculous and proceeded to build a place that is so limited, they couldn't book the acts they wanted because they didn't even have the capacity to fly their PA - -  -  BUT I still stand behind my methods, I looked at tours and shows going into similar venues, looked at similar venues, talked with touring riggers and local riggers and came up with some specifications.   Remembering that audience layout also determines PA coverage needs and you might need more capacity on sound points.     One of the sticking points with our designers was they couldn't understand why we needed more PA when there was an installed system, or why we might need to rig video if there was already a giant screen in the room for the scoreboard. 

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 10:15:27 PM »

I was asked to come up with similar specs for an arena, I did, they laughed and said it was ridiculous and proceeded to build a place that is so limited, they couldn't book the acts they wanted because they didn't even have the capacity to fly their PA

Not surprising.

@Al - figure out what you really need, then double it. When the "Value Engineering" fun begins, with any luck, they'll whittle it down to the real number.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Rick Earl

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 11:55:46 AM »

When the "Value Engineering" fun begins, with any luck, they'll whittle it down to the real number.

HaHaHaHa - When I said "you value engineered the functionality out of it" , they got mad and told me that they don't "value engineer".  About a week later I went to the engineer of record's website to get some information.  The home page said "(Insert company name here)- "Engineering value for our clients".  I guess it matters what order you put the words. 

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 01:22:46 PM »

The home page said "(Insert company name here)- "Engineering value for our clients".  I guess it matters what order you put the words.

Apparently!   :D

My former Structural Engineering firm designed an NBA Arena, a major Theater and at least one Amphitheater that I recall. Required Rigging Loads came from somewhere else - we just sized members accordingly.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 01:40:15 PM »

Have you tried the venue technical contacts for Fraze or PNC? That info should be readily available in the production advance package.

Al Rettich

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 08:34:44 PM »

I don’t have access to either.
Have you tried the venue technical contacts for Fraze or PNC? That info should be readily available in the production advance package.

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 11:34:25 PM »

You know what a camel is, don't you?  It's a horse designed by an engineer or designer...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 11:04:09 AM »

"Tech packs" should be available from venues upon request.

My experience is that architects and municipal planning committees have no idea how many ways producers would want to use the venues, and that location and capacity of rigging points and electrical services directly affect the ability of the venue to be used (i.e. rented out).  The committees and architects will deny that anyone would use the facility differently, and by the 2nd event or show they will be proven wrong - but there will be no way replace, fix, or correct the built-in shortcomings.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 12:48:20 PM »

I have the "tech pack" pdf file from Rose Music Center for 2022 if that is helpful. Send me a message and I could email it to you.

Al Rettich

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024, 12:18:07 PM »

That'd be great!
I have the "tech pack" pdf file from Rose Music Center for 2022 if that is helpful. Send me a message and I could email it to you.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024, 12:18:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.