Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

upgrading a dbx driverack with BSS BLU-80?

(1/6) > >>

Rolando Saenz:
Guys,
i want to replace a really old dbx driverack PA
it is still working but i want to improve some more my DSP

i am looking at a second hand BSS BLU-80
it have 2 input and 2 output cards ( 8 in and 8 out ch's total )
i asked the vendor is they are analog and he said yes
the back of the BSS do not have XLR's but install like molex conectors ?
anyway i will wire to a patch panel with solder xlr's on the back of the rack

is that a lateral move or it is a move one or 2 steps up

Brian Jojade:
What features do you hope to gain from the new processor?  Not having XLR connectors is great for a permanent install, but can be frustrating for something on the road.  If you build a full panel for all of the IO, that would be the minimum.

The BSS BLU-80 is certainly a step up in flexibility from the DRPA, as  you can expand it with different IO cards, cobranet, etc.  However, it's a discontinued product.

The iOS app was last updated in 2017, and likely won't work on current systems.

It's one of those things that will probably work fine with older computers, but if it were me, I'd be looking to get something more current and that has current support.

Rolando Saenz:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on April 03, 2024, 04:04:44 PM --- but if it were me, I'd be looking to get something more current and that has current support.

--- End quote ---
Hey Brian,
what do you suggest to look at

i was looking at the Bheringer LE i know the pro's do not use any behringer stuff,
i am in the weekend warrior class
so i guess i can use behringer lol

but any other better sonically products are welcome
it will be second hand of course cause i can not get a new LAKE , XTC , BSS or EAW 2.5k processor

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Rolando Saenz on April 03, 2024, 04:51:07 PM ---Hey Brian,
what do you suggest to look at

i was looking at the Bheringer LE i know the pro's do not use any behringer stuff,
i am in the weekend warrior class
so i guess i can use behringer lol

but any other better sonically products are welcome
it will be second hand of course cause i can not get a new LAKE , XTC , BSS or EAW 2.5k processor

--- End quote ---

Behringer processor actually works pretty well but has a high noise floor.  What is the application?

Take a look a the Loudstar LDP4.8 it's a 4x8 processor with very powerful DSP and a great software app for only $418.  I am probably going to roll one out for a new monitor rack although I am also looking at DSP in the amp.

Robert Healey:

--- Quote from: Rolando Saenz on April 03, 2024, 04:51:07 PM ---but any other better sonically products are welcome

--- End quote ---

It's hard to say whether an open architecture DSP is a step up from a fixed one for your application. They are certainly more capable, but you will need to build the program yourself. I use a BSS BLU-100 I got for free from a decommissioned conference room and it works great, but I don't do anything more with it than I could do with a Driverack PA.

In the US you can get a used Biamp TesiraForte 12x8 open architecture DSP for around $100 on eBay. The TesiraForte can do everything the BSS can and is still supported by Biamp. It's install-focused so you would also need to build bulkhead plates for live use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version