ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: L'Acoustics A10  (Read 1880 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: L'Acoustics A10
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 02:49:40 PM »

Like I mentioned before, I won't be flying the rig and don't really have floor space at any of my events for array lifts. I haven't had time to watch any of the videos but I will look around and try Soundvision as well.

What I'm getting from you all is that the box sounds great but is limited to it's constant curvature and needs to be flown to really benefit from it. Maybe this rig isn't what I'm looking for. I will see if that company gets their boxes in soon and have a demo.

Steve, the take-away should be that NO loudspeaker provides optimum coverage when ground stacked.

Constant curvature arrays are good IF the coverage geometry is neither over nor under-covering the actual audience geometry, but that is true for line arrays or point-source loudspeakers as well.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 04:04:38 PM »

Steve, the take-away should be that NO loudspeaker provides optimum coverage when ground stacked.

Constant curvature arrays are good IF the coverage geometry is neither over nor under-covering the actual audience geometry, but that is true for line arrays or point-source loudspeakers as well.
Not sure where the product sits in the modern progression of designs from l'acoustics but it looks a lot like a smaller version of the original ARCs. 
I remember years ago when we had that ARCs rig that we used it in side-by-side horizontal array instead of in vertical line-array fashion for places where we could not fly.  I was never disappointed with the results and preferred it over short stacked line arrays (dVdosc is what we would have had for that)

I play with far more "old fashioned" gear nowadays but still would love to trade it all in for a nice used ARCs rig and some of those 3x15" dVsubs
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Matthias McCready

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 06:49:53 PM »

Not sure where the product sits in the modern progression of designs from l'acoustics but it looks a lot like a smaller version of the original ARCs. 
I remember years ago when we had that ARCs rig that we used it in side-by-side horizontal array instead of in vertical line-array fashion for places where we could not fly.  I was never disappointed with the results and preferred it over short stacked line arrays (dVdosc is what we would have had for that)

I play with far more "old fashioned" gear nowadays but still would love to trade it all in for a nice used ARCs rig and some of those 3x15" dVsubs

The A series can be deployed horizontally, the integrator that installed my rig mentioned doing that for a few installs.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Brad Harris

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2024, 10:08:46 AM »

Like I mentioned before, I won't be flying the rig and don't really have floor space at any of my events for array lifts. I haven't had time to watch any of the videos but I will look around and try Soundvision as well.

What I'm getting from you all is that the box sounds great but is limited to it's constant curvature and needs to be flown to really benefit from it. Maybe this rig isn't what I'm looking for. I will see if that company gets their boxes in soon and have a demo.

You'd have to buy through Solotech ... do they not have any stock in Toronto to set up a demo?

Brad

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2024, 11:19:00 AM »

You'd have to buy through Solotech ... do they not have any stock in Toronto to set up a demo?

Brad

Solotech - "pardon moi, while we blow the HF out of the K3."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2024, 11:27:56 AM »

Solotech - "pardon moi, while we blow the HF out of the K3."

There is a story there and I'm afraid to ask.

Solotech is not the company purchasing this gear. I will wait for them to get the system and then get a proper demo.
I made it through 2 youtube videos on Soundvision. Need to finish them to also get a better grasp on things.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2024, 01:02:41 PM »

There is a story there and I'm afraid to ask.

Solotech is not the company purchasing this gear. I will wait for them to get the system and then get a proper demo.
I made it through 2 youtube videos on Soundvision. Need to finish them to also get a better grasp on things.
From  personal experience, Solotech (Montreal) can be a "little hard" on demo systems.  Where will it go, what will it do, and when does the sound fall apart. And why not?  It's their millions getting spent - potentially.
I had JBL and Solotech beside me at the board overseeing DSP, and Crown at the amp racks. 
It was an "interesting" show, but nothing got fried.
15 a side of this, 25 ground stacked of that. It was NOT quiet.....  Haha
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 03:22:48 PM »

From  personal experience, Solotech (Montreal) can be a "little hard" on demo systems.  Where will it go, what will it do, and when does the sound fall apart. And why not?  It's their millions getting spent - potentially.
I had JBL and Solotech beside me at the board overseeing DSP, and Crown at the amp racks. 
It was an "interesting" show, but nothing got fried.
15 a side of this, 25 ground stacked of that. It was NOT quiet.....  Haha
Chris.

They were blowing the HF out of the K3 back in 2019, when they used the K3 for side hangs at arena shows.  The K3 is a 2 way, biamped box with the HF crossing <500Hz.  l'Acoustic issued a new batch of power amp presets for that loudspeaker that greatly tightened up the protective limiting, pending other changes.

The other changes turned out to be a new, more robust HF diaphragm and new amp presets (with presumably different limiting).  The new diaphragms sound different; there seems to be more mass and perhaps different stiffening embossed into the dome.

We replaced our HF diaphragms in Jan, 2024 without experiencing a failure in v1 hardware.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 03:22:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.