ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running bi-amp speakers on X32, no external crossover needed?  (Read 1400 times)

Sean McKinley

So I'm figuring this out as I go. I'm probably wrong in a few places and need guidance.
So I run an X32 with the S32 stage rack. I have some EAW KF695E speakers with AP4/6 connections. I found a very good thread here that details the NL4/8 conversion. But I have questions. I'll only run these as bi-amp and have no interest in tri-amp due to trailer weight capacity and current amps in possession. The conversion is doable. However, I am unsure about two things. The X32 matrices have crossover features, so no external crossover needed? Also, if I convert just the AP4s to NL4s I am curious on wiring to the amp.
Assuming i'ld run something like, Output 13 -> Matrix 3(LEFT HF/MF), Output 14 -> Matrix 4(LEFT LF), Output 15 -> Matrix 5(RIGHT HF/MF), Output 16 -> Matrix 6(RIGHT LF).

This would be running to Crown XTI 4000s I've repaired, I have two but if this is the way I'll buy more. I have other QSC amps that run the subs, likely matrices 1&2. (Although couldn't I just run a single output for each and Y-split XLR to the amps????) Order I guess isn't important ATM. I assume i'ld run XLR from S32 outputs to Crown amps in Bridge mode, NL4 from amps to EAW speaker?

I'm trying to learn from these forums and the patchy information everywhere else, so apologies if I've absorbed misinformation. It's been a real link rabbithole learning what I have so far.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 01:39:17 AM by Sean McKinley »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Running bi-amp speakers on X32, no external crossover needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 04:35:50 AM »

EAW speakers needs proper processing to perform at the correct level. You'll need a DSP or a DSP-controlled amplifier capable of running EAW Greyboxes.
Look for a used EAW UX processor, QSC Q-sys processor (These currently support KF, QX, MK and VF models), LAB PLM or Powersoft DSP amps (excluding the old M-series platform).

Joris Jans2

• Vester Theater Techniek
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 06:50:22 AM »

if it's you, and only you, who is operating this rig then you could do it but i would never suggest this workflow to anyone because the room for error is too big. this is aside from the brand specific timing&eq corrections which should be implemented in the desk matrices

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 08:06:31 AM »

Yes you can convert the AP/EP connectors to Speakons, the Speakon MPR series will fit directly into the hole of an AP/EP.

You can get the basic crossover, EQ, delay settings from EAW,.

I am not a fan of doing speaker processing within a mixer, as mention too easy to have a expensive accident.

That said your using XTI 4000 amps, do the processing in the amp, download the Crown Band Manager software, connect to the amps and set them up to power the lows and mid / highs on the EAW's.

Ok for the subs set them up to be aux fed and use the high pass and low pass on a mix out of the board for those. A set up miss hap on the subs would not be as bad as it could be for the EAW's. 

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 09:55:00 AM »

This would be running to Crown XTI 4000s I've repaired, I have two but if this is the way I'll buy more. I have other QSC amps that run the subs, ...

Are they in the same rack?

AFAIK, Crown cooling fans draw from front to back and QSC, from back to front. Depending on their location, I'd be cautious of one amp "breathing" the exhaust of the other.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

doug johnson2

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 12:18:22 PM »

These boxes really need Graybox/Focused/UX processing to operate to the best potential.  The difference between the FIR processing and standard processing is not insignificant.  That said, I would use the processing in the XTis rather than the processing in the X32.  It will be a better choice.  There are available dsp setting for these boxes in the legacy area of the EAW website.  Be aware however that these settings were developed for the EAW MX series of processors.  These processors were OEMed by Ashly are the filters were based on those in the Protea processers.  The processing in the XTis is based on the DBX Driverack processors and use a different filter topography.  The EAW setting will not transfer directly.  You might download the legacy Driveware software and EAW presets for the original Driverack 480 series from the DBX website.  Copying the tunings from there for use in the XTis will get you closer to what you want.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 05:01:42 PM »

Yes, the crossover built into the X32 is a very functional solution.  If you're looking to have the least amount of gear, it's certainly usable.

External processors are often preferred though, as they have more functionality and can be isolated from the mixer, keeping people's hands off.  If you're the one operating things, keeping hands off might not be as big of a deal.

And yes, pay attention to cooling between crown and QSC amps.  When you have airflow going in multiple directions cooling can stop and create an overheating situation pretty easily.
Brian Jojade

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 10:00:31 PM »

I run a passive triamped rig out of the x32 crossover filters, works great.  As mentioned, you need to be a bit careful.  I would recommend making your output routing scene safe so you can't accidentally load a scene with full range outputs going out to your amps and doing damage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 10:00:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.