ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog Split?  (Read 2722 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Analog Split?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2024, 02:19:47 PM »

In my experience, i went active for one show.
4 way split. Front of House, Monitors, Broadcast truck (CBC), and Recording truck.
Interesting guy, the CBC fellow. After seeing he was on an active split, he un-soldered each pin one.
After the show, he restored everything.  I'm pretty good with a soldering station, but this guy was something else.
I snipped all the pin 1 in the output loom on mine years ago and haven't had a situation since where their lack was an issue.
-I do have other multipoint looms with pin1 intact so it's an easy swap if they turned out to be needed.

Years ago I did have 24 separate 1' long ground-lift adaptor cables to deploy if needed -could nothing like that be found or did the guy just really want to show off his skills?
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2024, 02:51:34 PM »

I snipped all the pin 1 in the output loom on mine years ago and haven't had a situation since where their lack was an issue.
-I do have other multipoint looms with pin1 intact so it's an easy swap if they turned out to be needed.

Years ago I did have 24 separate 1' long ground-lift adaptor cables to deploy if needed -could nothing like that be found or did the guy just really want to show off his skills?

Craig, he didn't snip anything. He used wick to unsoldered them. Slip on a bit of tubing for insulation, and put the shell back on. No hi-jinks needed to solder them back. He was FAST, and accurate. Maybe it was my first rodeo, but it sure wasn't his.

Personally, my split has ground lifts, but I've never had the need to use them.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2024, 03:30:34 PM »

Just about anything is better than a Seismic!!

I built a 32 channel split some years ago complete with ground lifts and and think maybe once I actually need to lift a couple channels.

Just built a compact 20 channel split, no ground lifts, had CBI do the metal work and I soldered it up.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2024, 12:06:34 PM »

On my former long time gig, we had a xfmr split in the control package. We got an incredible deal on it from an inventory sell off when we were looking for a mic split.
 Pin 1 only connectted to the direct side of the split. on all the iso outputs, pin 1 was tied to the shield of that transformer winding. Each isolated destination was providing the ground for the pin 1 shields on their split.
 Only mods we did were to bypass the ground lift switches (they were originally on the direct side, left the switches there as pacifiers) and add the Jensen recommended termination resistor/rfi bypass cap to channel 1.
 This was bulletproof on any remote broadcast/recording setup, no matter where the remote was sourcing power from (and we did a lot of TV/radio/corporate broadcast type gigs in all kinds of settings) I believe this had a lot to do with the telescoping ground arrangement.
 Nowadays with mostly digital stage boxes a few feet from each other, a passive wye is usually more than sufficient.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2024, 05:02:34 PM »

I have a 48 channel trafo system based on 12 channel modules from Link. XLR/LK37 input, 3x LK37 + 1x XLR output and input patching.
These are handy for splitting for guest consoles.
One of my stage racks have a simple Y-split built-in, I deploy the split solution most suited for the gig.
IF it's a simple 1:1 split I can do that in the rack, but if I need custom patching on inputs I use the trafo based system.
Attached is a picture of a pair of racks.

"Trafo"?  Is that a euro thing?  No comprende amigo... :-)

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2024, 05:05:22 PM »

"Only mods we did were to bypass the ground lift switches (they were originally on the direct side, left the switches there as pacifiers)

" Yep, definitely sounds better with the switch in this position... "  :D

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2024, 05:07:08 PM »

"Trafo"?  Is that a euro thing?  No comprende amigo... :-)

My bad, Trafo is Norwegian short form writing for Transformer  :)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2024, 09:34:22 AM »

I have a Klark Teknik DN1248 plus that I am about to give away to a fellow that likes to tinker. It was pulled out of an install when it failed. I am pretty sure it is a power supply issue. It is the model with only one power supply. This is an active splitter. It even has preamps and phantom in it. It was a great unit but I don’t know anyone that would need one of these now a days.

Years ago I built a snake and I added a Multi-pin connector in it for a hard wired split. I never finished the splitter tails because I never really had a use for it. It (the snake cable) was used for a portable church and I thought that would be a nice feature to have, but then realized it wasn’t needed so I didn’t finish it. I had the multi pin connectors already so it didn’t cost anything but my time. I still have that split fan out in my basement.

I love it when we are working with a band that has their own IEMs and mixer for it with a hardwired split off of it. I have never had a problem with them. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2024, 09:34:22 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.