ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Powering TH118  (Read 1532 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Powering TH118
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 03:13:35 PM »

Hi Floris, the Powersoft T Series of amps are another popular choice for these subs and are a bit more cost effective than the Danley offerings.  Judging by another ongoing thread at the moment, forum member Debbie Dunkley might have a T602 looking for a new home ;)

Floris Barthel

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 11:55:31 PM »

The Dynacord DSA8212 amp would work fine bridged mono into a single 4 ohm TH-118.
You would need three more if you want to use the dynamic range the TH-118 can handle.
Their peak power of 3400 watts is good, but as Paul (and Ivan) have suggested the long term limiting should be set to about 1/4 that.

That was my take as well based on the specs but others suggested it might be OK to run one sub per channel? I guess I just  try it out and listen?

In the post below Ivan also suggests that two TH118s can be ran from a single DNA20K channel. Would that be roughly equivalent to a single TH118 on one DSA8212 channel or is my math completely off here?

Just 1 DNA20K.  It is 4 channels that are 5Kw each @ 2 ohms.

If you are running a mono system, then you could run 6 TH118s and 4 SM80s off of a single amp.

So that would be all 4 SM80s on 1 channel and 2 TH118s on each of the other 3 channels.

That is "assuming" all the SM80s are getting the same signal.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:54:44 AM by Floris Barthel »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2024, 01:01:56 PM »

but others suggested it might be OK to run one sub per channel?
It's perfectly OK and should also be quite safe so yes give it a try.

In the post below Ivan also suggests that two TH118s can be ran from a single DNA20K channel. Would that be roughly equivalent to a single TH118 on one DSA8212 channel or is my math completely off here?
The Dynacord produces 1100w/ch at 4ohms, the DNA20k produces 5kw per channel at 2ohm which is 2500w per 4ohm sub. Here is the thing... you CANNOT power a sub with this much amplifier without very good multi stage limiting, the DNA has that built in and it is preset for these cabs... something that an end user is unlikely to reproduce on thier own without destroying a bunch of drivers.

What do you have for limiting? If the answer is nothing besides what is built into the amp then you're already at the limits of what is safe for the drivers.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:12:28 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Floris Barthel

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 03:33:32 PM »

What do you have for limiting? If the answer is nothing besides what is built into the amp then you're already at the limits of what is safe for the drivers.

I have an AHM16 matrix processor that I use in an installed setup (also Danley) that has a limiter built-in but I am planning to take the TH118s on the road and wasn't planning on bringing it. Was thinking of getting a simple DSP that doesn't break the bank... Any suggestions?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2024, 04:08:26 PM »

I have an AHM16 matrix processor that I use in an installed setup (also Danley) that has a limiter built-in but I am planning to take the TH118s on the road and wasn't planning on bringing it. Was thinking of getting a simple DSP that doesn't break the bank... Any suggestions?
I'd suggest talking to Danley.  The protection in their DNA amps will not be replicated by simple processors.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 04:58:00 PM »

I went round and round myself over what amp(s) to use when I purchased the TH118’s. You will not regret just moving into the DNA20k and calling it a day. I know it’s not the cheapest option but as Tim suggested it will be all but impossible to duplicate what Danely has created in their presets with other models. I’m glad I listened to those on this forum a few years back telling me to just buy the DNA20k and move on. 

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 05:22:21 PM »

I went round and round myself over what amp(s) to use when I purchased the TH118’s. You will not regret just moving into the DNA20k and calling it a day. I know it’s not the cheapest option but as Tim suggested it will be all but impossible to duplicate what Danely has created in their presets with other models. I’m glad I listened to those on this forum a few years back telling me to just buy the DNA20k and move on.
They now also have other amp options.  See their website for details.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 08:43:56 PM »

Was thinking of getting a simple DSP that doesn't break the bank... Any suggestions?

When it comes to limiters, the old fashioned single stage static limiters, such as in a basic DSP - doesn't do much.  If I'm stuck in a case like that, I size the amps to work as peak limiters (IE, not too powerful), use the limiter at hand with long attack/release for thermal control, and set an aggressive, static, HPF.

Real limiting (note - not just "limiter") now is a mix of multiple, as in 3-5, limiters.  Plus dynamic HPF, plus dynamic EQ, plus dynamic monitoring of the amp's output impedance.  This is the reason why "real" systems use real amplifiers, with real DSP built in.  They also happen to carry a real price tag. 

Other than simply using what you have, the only logical step up is to get an amp that has the proper power and limiting, which is one of the Danley DNA or D amps. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Powering TH118
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2024, 11:20:53 PM »

They now also have other amp options.  See their website for details.
Right? Didn’t Danley specifically make presets for (and even sell) the dynacord amps?  I know there was a big press release about them being “approved” or something.

I know dynacord has Danley presets on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2024, 12:06:54 AM »

Hi there! I have six Danley TH118 and three Dynacord DSA8212 amps (https://products.dynacord.com/la/en/dsa-8212/).

Based on my limited understanding I don't believe any single channel amplifier would have enough power to power even a single sub, but I was thinking maybe I could put amp in bridged mono and daisy chain two TH118s together per amp? Would that work?

Edit: having doubt now because theres no 2ohm spec for the amp...

What are you running for top speakers?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2024, 12:06:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 26 queries.