Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Powering TH118

(1/5) > >>

Floris Barthel:
Hi there! I have six Danley TH118 and three Dynacord DSA8212 amps (https://products.dynacord.com/la/en/dsa-8212/).

Based on my limited understanding I don't believe any single channel amplifier would have enough power to power even a single sub, but I was thinking maybe I could put amp in bridged mono and daisy chain two TH118s together per amp? Would that work?

Edit: having doubt now because theres no 2ohm spec for the amp...

Bob Faulkner:
Is your setup for DJ use or live sound?  If it's DJ use, a single TH118 on each amp channel would work best (to help protect the speakers).  As for amplifiers that can power a TH118 (on one channel), Crown I-tech, Macro Tech; Powersoft T9 series, (to name a few).  Work with what you have and see if you need more power.  Looks like what you currently have (speakers and amps) is a good combination for the protection of the speakers.

Looks like this thread needs to be in the Lab Lounge.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Floris Barthel on March 27, 2024, 12:32:02 AM ---Hi there! I have six Danley TH118 and three Dynacord DSA8212 amps (https://products.dynacord.com/la/en/dsa-8212/).

Based on my limited understanding I don't believe any single channel amplifier would have enough power to power even a single sub, but I was thinking maybe I could put amp in bridged mono and daisy chain two TH118s together per amp? Would that work?

Edit: having doubt now because theres no 2ohm spec for the amp...

--- End quote ---

According to the specs you linked, your amp does have a 2Ω rating, however it is at a higher distortion level, and is not a big boost in power, 1700W per speaker bridged mono mode with 2 speakers per amp vs. 1200 per speaker at 4Ω with 2 speakers per amp stereo mode. That is less than 2dB difference, hardly worth the effort, complication, and possible increase in heat.

Mac

Floris Barthel:
Thank you both! This is for DJing so I'll stay away from running anything in parallel and stick to single speaker box/channel.  Based on what you guys are saying it seems that I can probably run the TH118s fine using a single channel of the Dynacord amp but won't be able to push them (even close) to their peak? If guess I bridged the amp I could run one sub at (near) peak performance, but given that I only have three amps I wouldn't be able to power all six? Either way and most importantly: it seems like the amp is a "safe" choice and isn't likely to blow up the very expensive gear?

I'll need to start looking for some new amps in the near future, thanks for the suggestions.

Bob Faulkner:
Before thinking of spending money on big amps... there's a lot to know about a speaker's power rating. 

Don't get sucked into the big wattage numbers without knowing what those numbers actually mean.

Powering speakers for DJ use is a little different than for live sound.  Here's the reality... The "peak" rating of your speakers should NEVER be construed as what a speaker can handle.  Peak ratings are usually only expressed as ~20ms of time, and anymore time than that, will usually equate to either a thermal failure of the speaker, or a mechanical failure of the speaker.  Do not use amplifiers with power rated for a speakers "peak" power, this will more than likely destroy your speakers. 

The peak rating of the speaker should be the "Program" power of the cabinet (this is usually the middle power figure).  The program power does NOT mean you can run that level of power to the speaker consistently.  A speaker's "Program" power is usually rated for a few seconds.  Running a speaker continuously at its "Program" power will cause thermal failure of the speaker.

For DJ use, you should not use an amplifier rated for more than a speaker's "Continuous" power rating... this is the lowest power rating usually given to a speaker.  A speaker's "Continuous" rating is usually rated for many hours of use (at that power level).  This is the power rating you should be using.

Looks like the Dynacord amplifiers you currently have with those subs are your best choice for DJ use with those speakers.  As well, it looks like someone may have already sized those amps with those speakers; appears those amps are safe for those speakers; at one speaker per channel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version