Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Rewiring H.O.W. Stage

(1/4) > >>

Denny Griffin:
Greetings All

I attend a small country church. 3 sets of 10 pews, left, center and right. Total Sq ft of the sanctuary is 2,000-2500.

I'm purchasing a new soundboard for the church. 32 channel Mackie, nothing fancy, but very functional.

While looking at everything,  I realized their is a snake running from the current board, to the stage, underneath the floor (this church has a basement).  The snake comes up through the bottom of the stage, and terminates at a 32 channel XLR box.  There are XLR's rat nested all over the stage from years of melneglect.

My question is this;  if I were to install 3-4 recessed boxes on the stage, would I need to keep the XLR box, or could I plug the individual snake wires directly into the recessed boxes?

I greatly appreciate any input!

Thanks and God Bless
DaFazsha

Mike Caldwell:
What is the  condition of the fan tail end at the mixer?

Yes floor boxes work, though it always seems about six months after there installed at least one of them will be in the wrong spot! 
By XLR box my guess is your talking about the box on the end of the snake. Could it be located in the basement
and be as the connection/ patch point for the lines from stage boxes?

How are connectors in the box? Snake cable quality ranges disposable cheap junk to truly pro.

It may be a good idea to bring in someone who does system installations and give your system a look over before you get too deep into the project. In the long run that could save you some money.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Denny Griffin on March 24, 2024, 05:06:10 PM ---Greetings All

I attend a small country church. 3 sets of 10 pews, left, center and right. Total Sq ft of the sanctuary is 2,000-2500.

I'm purchasing a new soundboard for the church. 32 channel Mackie, nothing fancy, but very functional.

While looking at everything,  I realized their is a snake running from the current board, to the stage, underneath the floor (this church has a basement).  The snake comes up through the bottom of the stage, and terminates at a 32 channel XLR box.  There are XLR's rat nested all over the stage from years of melneglect.

My question is this;  if I were to install 3-4 recessed boxes on the stage, would I need to keep the XLR box, or could I plug the individual snake wires directly into the recessed boxes?

I greatly appreciate any input!

Thanks and God Bless
DaFazsha

--- End quote ---

Hi make sure you purchase a digital sound board.  Is the Mackie digital?  You don't want to invest in analog and it's harder to use.

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on March 24, 2024, 08:14:17 PM ---
Hi make sure you purchase a digital sound board.  Is the Mackie digital?  You don't want to invest in analog and it's harder to use.

--- End quote ---

Yes, no, maybe.....depending on the level of operators and how much if any the operators "invest" themselves into operating the system.
Sometimes an ole fashion gain knob, mute button and fader with no menus or channel select buttons still has a place.

But yea Denny if you have the sound team and are doing live music with the occasional production of some sort look a digital mixer and think about the last sentence in my first post.

Weogo Reed:
Hi Danny,

Consider the flexibility of keeping your current snake, and adding sub-snakes.
four~eight-channel sub-snakes can really clean up a stage, and still leave a lot of flexibility.

I have multiple Mackie digital mixers.
Are you looking at the Mackie DL32S mixer? 
Could you fit all of your inputs on a DL16S mixer?
Also consider other mixer brands for the varying features offered.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version