ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: M 32c question  (Read 3385 times)

Robert Lunceford

Re: M 32c question
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2024, 12:31:43 AM »

Rukus is good gear and the dog is really cute, I have a stuffed one from a trade show somewhere.

Seriosuly though they require a controller that pushed the cost and complexity up.  Each AP comes with a license to add to the controller or nothing plays nice.

Ruckus Scott

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2024, 12:39:02 AM »

Ruckus Scott

Sorry yes the Zoneflex stuff.  I have very little experience with it,
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2024, 11:20:07 AM »

Seriosuly though they [Ruckus] require a controller that pushed the cost and complexity up.  Each AP comes with a license to add to the controller or nothing plays nice.
The Ruckus ZoneFlex R320 I use works just fine by itself.  It was supplied to the venue by the PA contractors and never deployed.  30 mins of learning and config with a web browser and it's all up and running, reserved IP address for mixer, DHCP for client devices - just as we wanted it.  Works a treat.  Maybe other models are different?

What do you need the Edgerouter for?
Could be just to provide a DHCP server?  Or could be just because that makes a full setup and that's what was ordered.

We are overcomplicating this.  Most routers come out of the box with the LAN and the wireless bridged.  The WAN only has one port so not sure why anyone would use it.  Since NAT is also on by default the routing between the LAN and WAN would confuse the audio gear.  NAT is needed to connect to the Internet if using private IP's on the LAN. 

Lastly most routers don't have an antenna port making them hard to improve performance.
Au contraire, your different perspective indicates how complicated networking is for the naive user, where a reasonable domestic broadband router may be perfectly acceptable - partly on cost grounds, partly on deployment effort.

For many road warriors and small time operators a suitably placed domestic router with minimal config can be just fine.

And, for all that claim that their wi-fi is bulletproff, I call BS.  There's no such thing.  There's more robust, but never bulletproof in the real world.

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2024, 01:51:54 PM »

Indeed, but is a PITA if others bring their own devices.  All depends on how stuff's being used.  A DHCP server makes life a whole lot easier.

Incidentally, Ruckus APs are quite decent and can run DHCP.  Additionally, I remember a post recently suggesting OpenWRT could be used on (some?) Unifi APs - again, giving the benefit of DHCP support.

Yes, I'm aware that many big-boy production setups will use static addresses everywhere, but plenty of use cases fall outside this.

Sorry, should have said static addresses for all of your gear but DHCP enabled on the WiFi side for others. I am a computer systems engineer by day so I may know a little more about configuring these things than someone who isn't but IP addressing isn't rocket science.
I have 2 consumer grade Linksys AC1200s (1 is a spare and I've never had to use it) that were $25 each on Amazon. My M32c, Win11 mini PC and 3 android tablets are all static but DHCP is enabled for folks who want to mix their own IEMs from a phone or tablet.
If I run someone else's console I do have to flip everything back to DHCP but that isn't a huge task.
I have been running this way for over a year and have had my Win11 machine disconnect maybe a couple times but reconnected quickly and has never been an issue. I suspect its just a cheap WiFi chipset embedded on the motherboard with no real antennae - definitely not an external one. And its in sandwiched between an ATA case and a monitor so its not ideal. If it does become an issue I have thought about getting a USB WiFi stick which could  be mounted in a more ideal spot.
If I did more pro level stuff, I would spend the money on higher end gear for sure but this works well for me.
Jeff

JohnReeve

• Honkytonk Sound Guy who can travel.
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2024, 02:16:55 PM »

What do you need the Edgerouter for?

DHCP, if I recall correctly. 

But I don't know if I need it- if I had one ipad, one UAP-AC-M-US, and one m32c, the iOS app was working but adding additional devices was not. 

However, configuring the UAP-AC-M-US by itself wasn't clear- if I am recalling correctly, I could do it with the iOS app, but there was no web-based control panel where I could get an idea about what was connected to the network and other troubleshooting info.

Finally, when I bought it last year having an easy way to add a hard-wired network connection to an xr18 was part of the design goals, so having a port where I could do that seemed reasonable.

This was last year when I set it up, and so my memory is hazy and it's also possible that I have misunderstood something. 

I'd be interested in your thoughts on why that router isn't necessary, if you have any.  I'm not a total novice with networking, but I still have a lot I could learn.
See yall at Kerrville Folk Festival!

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2024, 01:36:00 AM »

Rukus is good gear and the dog is really cute, I have a stuffed one from a trade show somewhere.

Seriosuly though they require a controller that pushed the cost and complexity up.  Each AP comes with a license to add to the controller or nothing plays nice.
They have the "Unleashed" firmware now.  Standalone with no controller needed nor licensing and still can do mesh deployments. 
I use older used ones and after re-flashing to the new firmware they work flawless.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2024, 06:58:51 AM »

DHCP, if I recall correctly. 

But I don't know if I need it- if I had one ipad, one UAP-AC-M-US, and one m32c, the iOS app was working but adding additional devices was not. 

However, configuring the UAP-AC-M-US by itself wasn't clear- if I am recalling correctly, I could do it with the iOS app, but there was no web-based control panel where I could get an idea about what was connected to the network and other troubleshooting info.

Finally, when I bought it last year having an easy way to add a hard-wired network connection to an xr18 was part of the design goals, so having a port where I could do that seemed reasonable.

This was last year when I set it up, and so my memory is hazy and it's also possible that I have misunderstood something. 

I'd be interested in your thoughts on why that router isn't necessary, if you have any.  I'm not a total novice with networking, but I still have a lot I could learn.
A router is only needed, well to route.  Specifically between two network segments.  You only have one network.

If there is no other device to do DHCP there are much cheaper solutions.  You could use all those old cheap routers you don’t use anymore as DHCP servers.

It seems there is confusion, you can run DHCP and static on same network.  Just keep the static IP’s out of the DHCP scope, that is the range of IP’s handed out by the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2024, 12:40:03 PM »

A router is only needed, well to route.  Specifically between two network segments.  You only have one network.

If there is no other device to do DHCP there are much cheaper solutions.  You could use all those old cheap routers you don’t use anymore as DHCP servers.

It seems there is confusion, you can run DHCP and static on same network.  Just keep the static IP’s out of the DHCP scope, that is the range of IP’s handed out by the service.

And without a DHCP server, everything not on a fixed IP address should default to link local addresses.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2024, 04:32:49 PM »

And without a DHCP server, everything not on a fixed IP address should default to link local addresses.
That is correct.  Without a gateway of that matters.  Most people don’t need to access any other networks so that’s generally not an issue. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2024, 05:31:14 AM »

I know this is not network related but what you guys use to power the M32C, I heard is very prone to crash under saggy power, do you use a battery backup or just a power conditioner?

How you guys rack it and do you use a patch pannel so in case the xlrs wear out from the daily plug in and out you just replace the patch pannel connector instead of opening that actual Midas or behringer box that house the preamps.

Asking cause maybe a get a second hand one at a very keen price ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2024, 05:31:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.