ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Flip cases, Are they worth it?  (Read 1701 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Flip cases, Are they worth it?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 01:20:46 AM »

Personally, I think these are the stupidest, most inflexible cases around. I can't think of any situation where they would be better than a regular case. I would never use one, would not let a company that I hire send out a console in one, and would be upset if I received a console in one, but, clearly some people have found a use for them as companies do keep on making them!

In the event that you're the sole tech setting up a show, it's way easier than struggling to get a mixer lifted into position.  In a venue where the case lives, such as a church or hotel, having something that can be rolled in and deployed by one person easily might make sense.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 01:35:55 AM »

Personally, I think these are the stupidest, most inflexible cases around. I can't think of any situation where they would be better than a regular case. I would never use one, would not let a company that I hire send out a console in one, and would be upset if I received a console in one, but, clearly some people have found a use for them as companies do keep on making them!

So Andy how do you feel about that case?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 06:54:42 AM »

I'm amazed by how polarizing this topic seemingly is.  When space or stealth is a concern I too adapt to just a 19" rack on wheels housing a baby dLive rig (DM32 + IP8) which still gives me full horsepower but in a very compact footprint.  When I need to use a larger mixing surface I make sure the larger footprint is accounted for when planning FOH. 

Regarding the flip cases, I can't think of any easier way for an operator to deploy a 100+ pound console, solo, in less than a minute from rolling off the truck.  I guess the same could be said for my Prolyte VertoTruss - expensive and somewhat niche, but amazingly easy to assemble when pressed for time and working with a small crew.  To each our own though!

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2024, 07:24:39 AM »

Got a link to one with tray release??

Here's one from Audio Industries Scandinavia.
The two large thumb screws are the quick release.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2024, 08:53:24 AM »

I loved mine from ProX (Redistributing ZCase) for my A&H c3500.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2024, 10:48:10 AM »

As some of us know, being a small business owner and working alone sometimes posses it challenges, one of which is lifting a console on to some road cases or a folding stand. Some time ago someone had posted a "flip case" and although I find it difficult to justify the costs on some of these ($2K+) it IS very convenient to be able to flip it out of its case and lock in place.

Does anyone here have these? If so, how reliable are they and have they been a solid case that wouldn't cause damage to your desks? They appear to be secure.

Thanks in advance. :)

I've never owned one but have worked with other folks who do. They can be very handy to flip the console up without help especially for larger consoles but that is about where the convenience ends. Getting them on/off the truck without a ramp or up/down steps still requires help. Factor that in to ROI and I don't think it's a winning proposition.
As far as tipping, the ones I have worked with were balanced very well for the specific console so I dont think that is much of a concern.
Jeff

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2024, 11:14:13 AM »

I also don't like them. For me.

It's all about the working height for me. They're too tall to sit and too short to stand. Again, for me.

In a portable church situation maybe. Or any other situation where you are regularly tipping a console by yourself and you going into largely known, flat floor situations. But If I'm loading in a show large enough to need a console large enough to need help tipping it, I've already got help loading the rest of the show in anyway.

Heck, I'm expecting to be mixing a lot of decent sized shows on a DM7C soon enough. That one I can "tip" by myself without a fancy case. :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2024, 02:36:23 PM »

When I looked into these for my Soundcraft larger mixers (Series 5, MH-4, etc.) I felt they added even more size and weight to something that was already too heavy, and added too much to the effort to roll the consoles around. Plus they were super expensive by my standards for the advantage gained.

I found the EZ Tilts and their variations from TMB and whoever else to be far more flexible and easier to transport and use. I still use one (the aluminum TMB one) with my full size X32's when I'm by myself, which is not often anymore (using the full size console, not the by-myself part).

The X32 Racks and Cores are much easier to tilt.  ::)

charles strickland

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2024, 03:00:16 PM »

I have an EZ tilt from TMB. been using it for years. never a problem to set up my m32 by myself.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 07:39:22 PM »

I'm amazed by how polarizing this topic seemingly is.  When space or stealth is a concern I too adapt to just a 19" rack on wheels housing a baby dLive rig (DM32 + IP8) which still gives me full horsepower but in a very compact footprint.  When I need to use a larger mixing surface I make sure the larger footprint is accounted for when planning FOH. 

Regarding the flip cases, I can't think of any easier way for an operator to deploy a 100+ pound console, solo, in less than a minute from rolling off the truck.  I guess the same could be said for my Prolyte VertoTruss - expensive and somewhat niche, but amazingly easy to assemble when pressed for time and working with a small crew.  To each our own though!
The M32 is 50 lbs. Before I fuck with this case, I'll lift the console out of its shipping box.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 07:39:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.