Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

DMX

<< < (2/2)

Don T. Williams:
I'll try to directly answer your question as I understand it.  You probably can't get the effect you want with just the light.  If you purchased an inexpensive DMX controller that will let you record a few scenes and chases, yes you can use it to do what you want to do.  You will need one that has at least as many channels of control as your light has DMX control channels.  As an example, if you light needs 12 channels to control all the functions, a controller with 12 channels will work.  Ch 1 might control the pan, ch 2 the tilt, 3 the dimmer, and so forth.  Find which channel activates the prism and which adjusts the rotation, and which adjusts the speed. When you get the result you want, store it as a scene.  A chase is just a sequence of scenes.  Memory controllers and the WMX-1 mentioned can give you great shows, but if you just want a single look to stay on, even a manual DMX controller with enough sliders can create that effect, but I think you really want a controller that can record and playback chases.

Mark Knight:
Thanks again. Don, I think you are right. From memory, the Prism is on ch11.

One thing I wondered is whether I could build the kind of playback chase on something like Sweetwater?  It looks like I can import a backing track I use, then add scenes to create exactly what I need.

Am I right? 

Don T. Williams:

--- Quote from: Mark Knight on March 20, 2024, 12:03:30 PM ---Thanks again. Don, I think you are right. From memory, the Prism is on ch11.

One thing I wondered is whether I could build the kind of playback chase on something like Sweetwater?  It looks like I can import a backing track I use, then add scenes to create exactly what I need.

Am I right?

--- End quote ---

I'm not certain what "Sweetwater" is.  If it is a lighting/sound/DMX interface, please include a link so I can investigate.

duane massey:
If you only want one effect for the whole night, almost any cheap DMX controller will work as long as it can provide 16 channels per fixture. You'll have to spend some time (1) learning basic programming (2) setting up a simple program/chase for your needs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version