ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favorite managed mini-switch for Dante?  (Read 1529 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: What's your favorite managed mini-switch for Dante?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2024, 05:45:58 PM »

I don’t do shows with big PA and comms systems anymore since I work in a corporate TV studio, but when I did I tried to stick to Luminex switches. They are bullet proof, handle PTP, come configured with standard RJ45 or Ethercon connectors and can have fiber with OpticalCon. Yes, they are expensive, but when there are million dollar shows hanging on them they are the best. GIGA CORE 10

They are available in many configurations.

Mac
Very nice switches.
I freelance for a company where these are in all their drive racks and processing racks. Super easy on a busy show day.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2024, 08:54:44 PM »

Warning, the user interface on the Microtik is super wacky.
Can it be more difficult that the MikroTik Metal 5?  Mine is still sitting here, I thought I'd tossed it the recycling and called it a Benjamin down.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2024, 06:11:38 AM »

Can it be more difficult that the MikroTik Metal 5?  Mine is still sitting here, I thought I'd tossed it the recycling and called it a Benjamin down.

Ohh, the user interface on that one is a real PITA.
I gave up on it and called a IT network company, got them to set it up for me via Teamviewer.
Excellent coverage though.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2024, 06:22:41 AM »

I love this, if only because the power supply jack is on the same side as the ethernet jacks.

They were originally created for do it your self WISP providers.   The OS is open sourced.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2024, 10:30:55 PM »

They were originally created for do it your self WISP providers.   The OS is open sourced.
And it's always evolving.  If you had trouble years ago give it a second try now.  The current internal RouterOS and SwOS webGUI's are a lot easier to use than the command line or WinBox and there's even a Quickconfig pane at the top that will get you running in a way that can handle 90% of usage needs.
Once set they are very robust and the router models with built-in wireless seem to do well with range and crowded WiFi environments.
Yes I still need to Temviewer to my IT gurus sometimes but it gets less and less needed every time they show me how to do something complex.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2024, 08:30:36 PM »

And it's always evolving.  If you had trouble years ago give it a second try now.  The current internal RouterOS and SwOS webGUI's are a lot easier to use than the command line or WinBox and there's even a Quickconfig pane at the top that will get you running in a way that can handle 90% of usage needs.
Once set they are very robust and the router models with built-in wireless seem to do well with range and crowded WiFi environments.
Yes I still need to Temviewer to my IT gurus sometimes but it gets less and less needed every time they show me how to do something complex.

I have two Microtik Metals that I put Atlas mic stand extenders on.  It's cool you can just thread them on a boom and get them up in the air.  I have never sent them out yet as I was still playing I intended to finish the project in spring so I could use them this season.  I will make sure to upgrade the OS and give it a whirl.  It's been about a year.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2024, 08:30:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.