Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Speaker Upgrade

(1/3) > >>

Jim Gooch:
I am a weekend warrior doing cover music in small clubs and local festivals and events.  I play mostly in a semi-electric trio doing Americana/Roots music or a five pc acoustic bluegrass group setting.  I am the default sound guy and as such, I have acquired a lot of gear over the years.  Most of it is MI stuff  but now I am interested in upgrading.  In particular, I want better speakers but donít want something that only would be a lateral move.  Like many others on this forum, weight and size are also a concern. 
My current speakers are two Yamaha DXR10, two DXR8, and two QSC K8.  I also have one EV ZXA1sub. 

Some speakers Iím considering would be:
RCF ART 910A or ART 910AX (not use what the difference is other than price)
RCF NX910A
FBT Ventis 206A (high on my radar at the moment)
FBD Ventis 110A
DB Technologies IG1T
Yamaha DZR 10

Others Iím look at but probably out of my price range are:
BASSBOSS SV9
DB Technologies IG2T

Comments, suggestion welcomeÖ   

Greg Lee:
Here is a thread I started a while back that may be helpful.   I ultimately purchased DZR10s as a first step for speakers.   

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,179114.msg1652685.html#msg1652685

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: jim gooch on March 13, 2024, 11:12:27 AM ---I am a weekend warrior doing cover music in small clubs and local festivals and events.  I play mostly in a semi-electric trio doing Americana/Roots music or a five pc acoustic bluegrass group setting.  I am the default sound guy and as such, I have acquired a lot of gear over the years.  Most of it is MI stuff  but now I am interested in upgrading.  In particular, I want better speakers but donít want something that only would be a lateral move.  Like many others on this forum, weight and size are also a concern. 
My current speakers are two Yamaha DXR10, two DXR8, and two QSC K8.  I also have one EV ZXA1sub. 

Some speakers Iím considering would be:
RCF ART 910A or ART 910AX (not use what the difference is other than price)
RCF NX910A
FBT Ventis 206A (high on my radar at the moment)
FBD Ventis 110A
DB Technologies IG1T
Yamaha DZR 10

Others Iím look at but probably out of my price range are:
BASSBOSS SV9
DB Technologies IG2T

Comments, suggestion welcomeÖ

--- End quote ---

What's the limitation of your current system?

Jim Gooch:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on March 13, 2024, 01:10:27 PM ---What's the limitation of your current system?

--- End quote ---

The gear I have works just fine.  The upgrade I'm looking for concerns, in order of importance, better fidelity, lower weight, and smaller size.  For example, the FBT 206A would be smaller than the DXR10 but slightly heavier.  I don't know how it would compare with respect to audio quality though.  Both the IG1T and 1G2T would weigh less with the latter being slightly larger than the DXR10.  Again, the unknown is the audio quality.

George Reiswig:

--- Quote from: jim gooch on March 13, 2024, 03:21:27 PM ---The gear I have works just fine.  The upgrade I'm looking for concerns, in order of importance, better fidelity, lower weight, and smaller size.  For example, the FBT 206A would be smaller than the DXR10 but slightly heavier.  I don't know how it would compare with respect to audio quality though.  Both the IG1T and 1G2T would weigh less with the latter being slightly larger than the DXR10.  Again, the unknown is the audio quality.

--- End quote ---

Don't know if this helps, but I use DXR10s for monitors (mains for itty gigs), and used to have DSR112s for mains. I replaced the latter with IG4Ts. To me, the IG4Ts sound smoother and have more even patterns than the DSRs did. And they clearly outclass the DXR10s, but they'd darn well better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version