ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise  (Read 3459 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2024, 03:31:27 PM »

Hey Chris,
did you sell them ?
so what you have now
That system was broken up early 80's when i started doing more conferences and weddings, and less R&R gymnasium and big outdoor stuff. Company I briefcased for had a bunch of Adamson MH225 and whatever the matching dual 18 was called. THAT was a system to mix on. I was in hog heaven every show i did with that rig. My own system was a bunch of Elite EX1000, Not as "in your face" as the early system, but it suited the application perfectly, and was a LOT easier to transport. The "old" system was 8 bass bins and 2 2441's stacked and splayed a side. Being all horn loaded, it ran easily on a single 20A line....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2024, 07:15:17 AM »

That system was broken up early 80's when i started doing more conferences and weddings, and less R&R gymnasium and big outdoor stuff. Company I briefcased for had a bunch of Adamson MH225 and whatever the matching dual 18 was called. THAT was a system to mix on. I was in hog heaven every show i did with that rig. My own system was a bunch of Elite EX1000, Not as "in your face" as the early system, but it suited the application perfectly, and was a LOT easier to transport. The "old" system was 8 bass bins and 2 2441's stacked and splayed a side. Being all horn loaded, it ran easily on a single 20A line....
Chris.
The bass cabs were the B218 and S218
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,145414.0.html
But on some other webpages they mention the B318 as sub and b218 as midbass? Kick?

Hey in your old system you used 8 bass cabs and 2 2441 but are those just HF drivers or were top cabs cause I was in the impression that bass cabs and 2441's makes me think ..and where are the mids!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 07:20:37 AM by Rolando Saenz »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2024, 08:21:55 AM »

The bass cabs were the B218 and S218
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,145414.0.html
But on some other webpages they mention the B318 as sub and b218 as midbass? Kick?

Hey in your old system you used 8 bass cabs and 2 2441 but are those just HF drivers or were top cabs cause I was in the impression that bass cabs and 2441's makes me think ..and where are the mids!

Yes, the Adamson's were the B218. Same form factor as the MH225.  I loved that rig.

I crossed to the 2441's at 1,200........ Probably only went up to 12 or 13K, but it could peel paint off a building. HAha  They were bass cabs, NOT subs. Home built EV Eliminator folded horn. loaded with 15's.  It may not have been very pretty, but it made me a LOT of coin. Smallest I'd take out would be 4 bottoms and 1 horn a side.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2024, 08:37:48 AM »

I think that the way Yamaha squeeze all that SPL from those humble drivers is their choice of amp board with the FIR DSP  and limiting , the implementation of their compressor / limiting is very "musical" , just for giggles I have pushed to the point of have the red limiter light constantly on (I normally play them without engaging the limiter or the sporadic blink here and there) and found that when pushed that way you don't hear the normally distorted sound that come from overdriven / clipped PA amps , but a denser "thicker" kind of flavour , reminds me when you push hard a buss compressor when mixing down a multi track session I'm your daw.

In a musical way of course, judging that the HF driver have only a 1" exit and a 1.75" coil , I think they matched iit perfectly with the choice of lens , IMHO they wipe the floor out on the K12 from qsc, the only thing qsc K12 have is more lows but they sound muddy when pushed

I think if Yamaha made a loudspeaker processor employing the same compressor /limiter algorithms and have the table of FIR for different commercial prosummer 2 way passive boxes they will have a winner, I wish I can have a lake or XTC or BSS FIR capable loudspeaker processor , but those things itself cost the price of one 2k top.

Just for curiosity, what about those big JBL lens that use to have the 2445 driver, does a pair of those in top of maybe a double 15 box or double 12 box will get seriously loud with the proper processing, cause eaw uad8800 ...or what was the model lol, for the rack that process the KF series , is not digital right? Still coax the most juice out from those eaw cabinets , what was the mojo inside? 
The cut points...the choice of LR or BF filters and the slope plus the EQ points and Q's, all in the analog domain.
Maybe the sound of analog?

So yes I am tempted to maybe moving along that line , a used eaw processor and a pair of Kfs to start and then add some more .keep as they splay good right?
Same experience here (although mine was on accident).  I was in a large room and was pushing the system for a loud rock band.  I noticed that one side (DSR112's) sounded "warmer", and nicer than the other.  After the first set, I found that the volume knob on the side that sounded "warmer and better" was pegged high and the speaker had been in solid clip.

As you stated, it had NO bad effect being run at clip for a full set and actually sounded quite good.

My conclusion was that Yamaha's speaker management quality completely justifies their 7 year warranty period.  I still have mine :).

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2024, 09:04:33 AM »

Same experience here (although mine was on accident).  I was in a large room and was pushing the system for a loud rock band.  I noticed that one side (DSR112's) sounded "warmer", and nicer than the other.  After the first set, I found that the volume knob on the side that sounded "warmer and better" was pegged high and the speaker had been in solid clip.

As you stated, it had NO bad effect being run at clip for a full set and actually sounded quite good.

My conclusion was that Yamaha's speaker management quality completely justifies their 7 year warranty period.  I still have mine :).
They are the example of when a company don't hold back on maximizing performance with the available resources of a given design

Btw I have read many stories about people who have failing plate amps on the DSR's ... Some just have intermittent failure to turn on, others got on but mute.
I was looking at the plate amp and it is pretty compact and full of smd circuitry, no easy DIY for a mere mortal but just to highly trained techs with the proper tools, does Yamaha or some other company refurbish/repair those plate amps?

Other observation is that the cabinet is not plywood but MDF like material, one of mine have a big chip on a corner and I can see the falling chips of like compressed wood.

Was thinking on maybe make some plywood cabinets to same dimensions and transplant the electronics drivers to it.

What about internall damping sound wool ? Mine have almost none, I replaced one blown HF driver on one, and cant get the part anymore cause nobody appears to have it

What I did was to use a PRV 280ti bolt mount, havent had the time to do a REW sweep to see the A/B response between the original cab vs the franken one but when playing the pair you can't really notice one is not OEM anymore ,I have ordered a second PRV so to have a matched pair but since I can't seem to spot a big discrepancy and because time constraints,I have the second still in box  PRV driver as backup.

If you ever had the same issue as me, grab a PRV 280ti , works very good inside the yammy.

And again , I'm not advocate of doing franken stuff but I needed my cab to work and no more oem parts for it
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:10:10 AM by Rolando Saenz »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2024, 10:45:52 AM »

Rolando, if you are in South Texas and want to be attractive to clients down there, the best thing I could recommend is the JBL SRX 725 over the 728. Get 4 stacks of that and give it plenty of power.

This is not a step up in sound quality. It is louder, and it is the preferred South Texas PA. Its quite literally the “Sound of Tejano”.

You would be able to rent this rig a ton. Even if its not the best sounding thing out there.

Tim (used to tour with a pinche wedo band) Weaver.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2024, 12:51:42 PM »

They are the example of when a company don't hold back on maximizing performance with the available resources of a given design

Btw I have read many stories about people who have failing plate amps on the DSR's ... Some just have intermittent failure to turn on, others got on but mute.
I was looking at the plate amp and it is pretty compact and full of smd circuitry, no easy DIY for a mere mortal but just to highly trained techs with the proper tools, does Yamaha or some other company refurbish/repair those plate amps?

Other observation is that the cabinet is not plywood but MDF like material, one of mine have a big chip on a corner and I can see the falling chips of like compressed wood.

Was thinking on maybe make some plywood cabinets to same dimensions and transplant the electronics drivers to it.

What about internall damping sound wool ? Mine have almost none, I replaced one blown HF driver on one, and cant get the part anymore cause nobody appears to have it

What I did was to use a PRV 280ti bolt mount, havent had the time to do a REW sweep to see the A/B response between the original cab vs the franken one but when playing the pair you can't really notice one is not OEM anymore ,I have ordered a second PRV so to have a matched pair but since I can't seem to spot a big discrepancy and because time constraints,I have the second still in box  PRV driver as backup.

If you ever had the same issue as me, grab a PRV 280ti , works very good inside the yammy.

And again , I'm not advocate of doing franken stuff but I needed my cab to work and no more oem parts for it
Yea, I have taken pretty good care of my DSR's from a physical standpoint.  Minor drops/bangs in the back of a trailer.  Usually wrapped in a moving blanket when moved, so not even scratched.  I have heard others comment on the MDF as well.

I did see a pair of these in Nevada last year that were used as stage monitors in a blues bar.  They were seriously beat up .... but still working beautifully (I did a guest sit in for the band that night).  I hadn't heard about the lack of replacement parts for the horn though.  As it is a proprietary design, seems like it would be hard to duplicate.  I am surprised that the diaphragm can't be replaced in the horn.  I had an HF diaphragm from Klipsch sent to me for free when I blew one of my old KP301 HF drivers.  I think they had the thing made for me special since the speaker was long out of production by then.  The diaphragms are pretty inexpensive.

Thanks for the info.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2024, 01:45:57 PM »

I am surprised that the diaphragm can't be replaced in the horn. 

Found this.. https://www.simplyspeakers.com/yamaha-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-psd2013-8dia.html
Makes sense that it is Eminence as Yamaha has been using them for OEM drivers for quite some time and that there is/was a replacement diaphram available at one point. It shows as unavailable or backordered everywehere I look except USSpeaker which appear to have the driver and diaphrams available..

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2024, 06:48:53 PM »

Found this.. https://www.simplyspeakers.com/yamaha-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-psd2013-8dia.html
Makes sense that it is Eminence as Yamaha has been using them for OEM drivers for quite some time and that there is/was a replacement diaphram available at one point. It shows as unavailable or backordered everywehere I look except USSpeaker which appear to have the driver and diaphrams available..
As far as chipped cabinet I use bondo to fix the cabinets.  Any resin/fiberglass product should work fine.  Just gob it on then sand to match and paint.

I am in need of an amp.   I have had no luck finding one so that speaker has been under the bench for a year. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2024, 08:48:12 PM »

As far as chipped cabinet I use bondo to fix the cabinets.  Any resin/fiberglass product should work fine.  Just gob it on then sand to match and paint.

I am in need of an amp.   I have had no luck finding one so that speaker has been under the bench for a year. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what amp you need, specs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2024, 08:48:12 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.