ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise  (Read 3627 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2024, 10:55:43 AM »

Here in South Texas sound reinforcement is pretty much underrated,in the sense that the rent prices are pretty low, I do not think I can have one of those systems soon unless I won the lotto :),anyway I will keep dreaming.
You might consider a Tom Danley inspired Yorkville Synergy system... https://www.yorkville.com/loudspeakers/synergy/product/sa153/

Otherwise I suggest you start scouring the web for used touring grade equipment, look for auctions.. there are companies that specialize in pro sound, lighting, and video, and of course any classified listings.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2024, 03:15:57 PM »

Hey Aaron,
All you wrote make sense
This is your rig?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM80-TH118DBun--tom-danley-12-inch-400-watt-coaxial-speaker-and-18-inch-3400-watt-subwoofer-system

Wow! Just 4:cabinets 26k! And the sm80 says "400 watts driver"
Still can do more SPL than pro summer boxes .

Indeed the 4 cabinets come with a 4 channel danley amp
So I guess all the mojo DSP is programmed already in the amp
Freq cuts, compression and limiting, does that amp do FIR ? I guess.

Here in South Texas sound reinforcement is pretty much underrated,in the sense that the rent prices are pretty low, I do not think I can have one of those systems soon unless I won the lotto :),anyway I will keep dreaming.

Thanks Aaron and everybody for their input.

I don't believe Danley uses FIR filtering or much "mojo" in their amps in order to make their speakers sound good, they sound very good right out of the box with no processing. Their internal passive crossovers are top tier and don't require additional processing.

John Schalk

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2024, 06:35:24 AM »

What suppliers sell those kind of boxes, so to look in to prices and being optimistic that I can start getting a rig or gather boxes until get what I need./want
Facebook Marketplace has taken over from Craigslist as the primary source for local buying and selling of used gear.  What I've found is that my local groups are about 90% musical instruments (guitar pedals!) with just the occasional bit of interesting PA gear for sale.  But there are a number of national groups that you can join to find pro level PA gear for sale.  The main one I watch is Everything USED: AV GEAR (Official).  There are also FB groups for specific manufacturers such as the RCF Used Gear (USA) group and the Danley Sound Labs Sales Group.  Another marketplace to watch is Reverb.com.

The RCF ART 945-A would get my vote as probably the loudest, powered, one-box solution available for under $2k.  Why, you ask?  Because the speaker has a 4" voice coil high frequency driver and a 15" cone with a 3.5" voice coil.  Larger voice coils can handle more power and when you start to dig into the specs, you will see that the size of the voice coil on the high frequency driver in most "pro" boxes is at least 3".  Yamaha is unique in offering a 2" VC driver in the prosumer market.  Just about everyone else's high frequency drivers at this price point are 1.5" - 1.75".

Note that I have not heard or used the ART 945-A.  My comments are based only on reading the spec sheet for this speaker.

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2024, 02:20:05 PM »

Facebook Marketplace has taken over from Craigslist as the primary source for local buying and selling of used gear.  What I've found is that my local groups are about 90% musical instruments (guitar pedals!) with just the occasional bit of interesting PA gear for sale.  But there are a number of national groups that you can join to find pro level PA gear for sale.  The main one I watch is Everything USED: AV GEAR (Official).  There are also FB groups for specific manufacturers such as the RCF Used Gear (USA) group and the Danley Sound Labs Sales Group.  Another marketplace to watch is Reverb.com.

The RCF ART 945-A would get my vote as probably the loudest, powered, one-box solution available for under $2k.  Why, you ask?  Because the speaker has a 4" voice coil high frequency driver and a 15" cone with a 3.5" voice coil.  Larger voice coils can handle more power and when you start to dig into the specs, you will see that the size of the voice coil on the high frequency driver in most "pro" boxes is at least 3".  Yamaha is unique in offering a 2" VC driver in the prosumer market.  Just about everyone else's high frequency drivers at this price point are 1.5" - 1.75".

Note that I have not heard or used the ART 945-A.  My comments are based only on reading the spec sheet for this speaker.

I have the NX945a which is the wooden version of the ART box. It gets LOUD. But crystal clear. Compared to my DSR112s I think volume wise they are about equally matched but the NX wins that war as it throws farther and cuts through clearer with that massive VC and low X over point and sounds less stressed at max volume versus the still seriously impressive output that somehow manages to come out of the DSR cabinets. No idea how Yamaha managed that much output from such a tiny box. Vocals through the NX are incredible. I couldn’t find anything better or louder at 2k a box than the NX and I seriously considered buying the IG4s or IG3s. The next step up for single box powered solutions was the Meyer X40 ultras but I’m not spending 4-5k a box at this level in my business and the UPAs I found are all near end of life without spending similar money.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2024, 03:11:07 PM »

I have the NX945a which is the wooden version of the ART box. It gets LOUD. But crystal clear. Compared to my DSR112s I think volume wise they are about equally matched but the NX wins that war as it throws farther and cuts through clearer with that massive VC and low X over point and sounds less stressed at max volume versus the still seriously impressive output that somehow manages to come out of the DSR cabinets. No idea how Yamaha managed that much output from such a tiny box. Vocals through the NX are incredible. I couldn’t find anything better or louder at 2k a box than the NX and I seriously considered buying the IG4s or IG3s. The next step up for single box powered solutions was the Meyer X40 ultras but I’m not spending 4-5k a box at this level in my business and the UPAs I found are all near end of life without spending similar money.
Thanks George.  I have a pair of DSR112's and have been watching for someone who also had the NX945a's.  Thanks for the comparison.

Sean Anderson

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2024, 06:34:22 PM »

One thing to consider is that the RCF NX45-a, the older version, is heavily discounted right now if you google search it. It is a great speaker, I have 2 of them and they cover some serious ground and also make for an excellent drum monitor with good low end without a sub.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2024, 05:17:02 AM »

I think that the way Yamaha squeeze all that SPL from those humble drivers is their choice of amp board with the FIR DSP  and limiting , the implementation of their compressor / limiting is very "musical" , just for giggles I have pushed to the point of have the red limiter light constantly on (I normally play them without engaging the limiter or the sporadic blink here and there) and found that when pushed that way you don't hear the normally distorted sound that come from overdriven / clipped PA amps , but a denser "thicker" kind of flavour , reminds me when you push hard a buss compressor when mixing down a multi track session I'm your daw.

In a musical way of course, judging that the HF driver have only a 1" exit and a 1.75" coil , I think they matched iit perfectly with the choice of lens , IMHO they wipe the floor out on the K12 from qsc, the only thing qsc K12 have is more lows but they sound muddy when pushed

I think if Yamaha made a loudspeaker processor employing the same compressor /limiter algorithms and have the table of FIR for different commercial prosummer 2 way passive boxes they will have a winner, I wish I can have a lake or XTC or BSS FIR capable loudspeaker processor , but those things itself cost the price of one 2k top.

Just for curiosity, what about those big JBL lens that use to have the 2445 driver, does a pair of those in top of maybe a double 15 box or double 12 box will get seriously loud with the proper processing, cause eaw uad8800 ...or what was the model lol, for the rack that process the KF series , is not digital right? Still coax the most juice out from those eaw cabinets , what was the mojo inside? 
The cut points...the choice of LR or BF filters and the slope plus the EQ points and Q's, all in the analog domain.
Maybe the sound of analog?

So yes I am tempted to maybe moving along that line , a used eaw processor and a pair of Kfs to start and then add some more .keep as they splay good right?

John Schalk

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2024, 07:58:24 AM »

So yes I am tempted to maybe moving along that line , a used eaw processor and a pair of Kfs to start and then add some more .keep as they splay good right?
Churchgear.com has several EAW UX8800 processors for sale right now.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2024, 08:36:00 AM »

Just for curiosity, what about those big JBL lens that use to have the 2445 driver, does a pair of those in top of maybe a double 15 box or double 12 box will get seriously loud with the proper processing, cause eaw uad8800 ...or what was the model lol,

Back in the day i had 8 2441's on Community BRH-90 horns.
They could outrun just about anything you paired them with, with a simple TDM 24CX4.
Wish I still had them to try out the new secret sauce of a lake or something.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2024, 11:53:03 AM »

Back in the day i had 8 2441's on Community BRH-90 horns.
They could outrun just about anything you paired them with, with a simple TDM 24CX4.
Wish I still had them to try out the new secret sauce of a lake or something.
Chris.
Hey Chris,
did you sell them ?
so what you have now

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2024, 11:53:03 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.