ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise  (Read 3502 times)

Aaron Maurer

Re: What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2024, 10:48:08 AM »

The DbTech IG3 looks like the way to go budget wise

I also discovered the KV2 brand...they specialize in super loud point source cabinets , thing is that they are way out of my league .

:(

Here is my $0.02 being an owner of a pile of DSR112 boxes myself. I admit I have not heard the IG3 in person but I would bet the bank that you will get no more volume out of them than a DSR112. Will the IG sound better maybe but sheer SPL likely not.  Looking at the specs the only gain you may get is a bit more vertical coverage and if I “we” understand your main intent is increased volume?  I’m sure some will argue but you are making a lateral move at best with the IG’s.  To get more out of the IG’s so I’m told is to pair them and as stated above. You are now out of point source territory and into hanging the boxes and into a whole new cost to do business (rigging, tower stands, insurance). Until you add those costs thinking you at some point want to double/couple two boxes like the IG configuration, add up all the other costs to fly them properly.  Your best bet is to take time to save up the capital and not burn it on lateral moves if you see yourself wanting more SPL in a point source configuration down the road. That said it may sound like another Danley band wagon statement but I have heard nothing that will come close to the SM80/TH118 configuration as that is what I replaced my DSR112’s with a few years back. Ultimately if you can take a pair of DSR112’s out and compare them “real world” with the IG’s then you can really make a choice as to your next purchase. I know other boxes (kv2, Meyer, bassboss, Danley) are in another price range that can at times hard to reach.  Welcome to sound reinforcement.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2024, 11:11:42 AM »

What you really want is a big ol' pile of EAW KF650 and suitable "gray box" processor (UA8800 or amplifiers with the needed processing capability).

Look at the products that cost the same as the DSR, JBL SRX, etc.  Within the general price bracket the performance is generally similar, the differences are typically in the feature sets.

You'll need to move up into used professional gear to get the SPL you want.  You'll be paying a size and especially weight penalty, and you'll really, really, really (did I say REALLY) need to get the loudspeakers up in the air and aimed down.  Or not care if you stun the first 30 feet of audience, maybe they're audio masochists?  But you'll get an additional (and real) 6dB-10dB increase in output, maybe more.

You've found the tipping point between "good enough for most shows" and "damn, I need more!"
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2024, 11:21:34 AM »

Hey Aaron,
All you wrote make sense
This is your rig?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM80-TH118DBun--tom-danley-12-inch-400-watt-coaxial-speaker-and-18-inch-3400-watt-subwoofer-system

Wow! Just 4:cabinets 26k! And the sm80 says "400 watts driver"
Still can do more SPL than pro summer boxes .

Indeed the 4 cabinets come with a 4 channel danley amp
So I guess all the mojo DSP is programmed already in the amp
Freq cuts, compression and limiting, does that amp do FIR ? I guess.

Here in South Texas sound reinforcement is pretty much underrated,in the sense that the rent prices are pretty low, I do not think I can have one of those systems soon unless I won the lotto :),anyway I will keep dreaming.

Thanks Aaron and everybody for their input.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2024, 11:27:15 AM »

What you really want is a big ol' pile of EAW KF650 and suitable "gray box" processor (UA8800 or amplifiers with the needed processing capability).

Look at the products that cost the same as the DSR, JBL SRX, etc.  Within the general price bracket the performance is generally similar, the differences are typically in the feature sets.

You'll need to move up into used professional gear to get the SPL you want.  You'll be paying a size and especially weight penalty, and you'll really, really, really (did I say REALLY) need to get the loudspeakers up in the air and aimed down.  Or not care if you stun the first 30 feet of audience, maybe they're audio masochists?  But you'll get an additional (and real) 6dB-10dB increase in output, maybe more.

You've found the tipping point between "good enough for most shows" and "damn, I need more!"

Hey Tim,
What suppliers sell those kind of boxes, so to look in to prices and being optimistic that I can start getting a rig or gather boxes until get what I need./want

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2024, 12:06:05 PM »

Hey Aaron,
All you wrote make sense
This is your rig?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM80-TH118DBun--tom-danley-12-inch-400-watt-coaxial-speaker-and-18-inch-3400-watt-subwoofer-system

Here in South Texas sound reinforcement is pretty much underrated,in the sense that the rent prices are pretty low, I do not think I can have one of those systems soon unless I won the lotto :),anyway I will keep dreaming.

Yes that’s the speakers I have with (4) subs. To add to what Tim stated above getting speakers up in the air really helps but back to lifts, truss, hanging, and such. If I was headed towards the used market in pure SPL the VRX932 is a hatefully loud box constant curve setup if powered with itechs or similar. Been in your shoes and wasted a lot of cash making lateral moves. Keep looking and doing your homework. You found a great network of folks here to assist in that journey.  Check out the Meyer Ultra X40 and the bassboss DV12. Never heard them but others on here may have?  Point source upgrades for you in my opinion would be in this direction. JTR is another option.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 08:25:02 PM by Aaron Maurer »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2024, 01:43:07 PM »

Also check pricing with Mike Pyle.
I also went from DSR112 to SM80.  Now I hardly ever break out the DSRs.
Did a gig a couple of years ago where I could clearly hear the SM80s maybe 1000' away.
Also, they're light enough to put on crank stands; mine go to 15' and tilt down with my Anglers.
Even the DSRs work better up high and tilted.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2024, 02:46:05 AM »

Hey Aaron,
All you wrote make sense
This is your rig?

If you won the lotto would you really spend the money on a PA?  Personally I would go airplane shopping as I am a private pilot, look at some art, update the house and buy numismatic gold.  That’s the little lottery that never gets over 5 million.  If I won the multi state 9 figure game you would have to call my people as I would be too busy with my charitable foundation and political concerns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Darren Scaresbrook

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • Concert Systems Australia
DB Reevo
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2024, 03:05:09 AM »

I haven't heard these yet, but I suspect they will sound good and go hard for their size and weight.
FIR filtering in the DSP to flatten both time and amplitude response. Double 10" or double 12" versions.
Not sure of US pricing as I'm in Aus.
Might be worth a look.

https://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/products/opera-reevo/

James Paul

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2024, 03:12:50 AM »

What would be the next upgrade so I can have more SPL
DZR's one in top of the other?
Or any other model that was designed to do the 2 cab "array" thing
So maybe 2 very high power point source or 4 that can be arrayed 2 per side .
consider (2) Presonus CDL12/10P on poles/stands per side

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2024, 03:12:50 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.