ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise  (Read 3505 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: What point source cabinets will do an upgrade SPL wise
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 08:32:42 PM »

Active or passive is ok, weight is no issue as long they have a significant upgrade of SPL vs the DSR112's , to me the qsc K series do not get up to the level, maybe the KW 3 way but I guess they are not array able.

Truly arrayable and high output is expensive; the Danley SH46 is a great example.  They get LOUD and sound great, but you'll need 2-3 per side.  I'd ditch the arrayable desire, that's a big step up.

That leaves single boxes that are a lot louder than all the me-too boxes (most EV/JBL/QSC/Yamaha/etc).  RCF TTL6A, TW T24N, Danley SM80, Danley SH96HO.  At this level though, while you can ground stack, you're using boxes that can take the heads off the front rows - so getting them up and aimed down becomes more of a necessity.  Crank-up towers, crank-ups and truss, scaffold, etc. 

The RCF TT-25A, TT22A, TTL4A, etc are all great boxes, and they get louder than the generic stuff; but you have to decide if they are significantly louder. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 08:35:57 PM »

Truly arrayable and high output is expensive; the Danley SH46 is a great example.  They get LOUD and sound great, but you'll need 2-3 per side.  I'd ditch the arrayable desire, that's a big step up.

That leaves single boxes that are a lot louder than all the me-too boxes (most EV/JBL/QSC/Yamaha/etc).  RCF TTL6A, TW T24N, Danley SM80, Danley SH96HO.  At this level though, while you can ground stack, you're using boxes that can take the heads off the front rows - so getting them up and aimed down becomes more of a necessity.  Crank-up towers, crank-ups and truss, scaffold, etc. 

The RCF TT-25A, TT22A, TTL4A, etc are all great boxes, and they get louder than the generic stuff; but you have to decide if they are significantly louder.
With great power comes great coverage opportunity.  Or not. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 11:56:16 PM »

Active or passive is ok, weight is no issue as long they have a significant upgrade of SPL vs the DSR112's

The DSR is one of the loudest prosumer PA boxes on the market... potentialy only second to the DZR which by all reports is slightly louder. IMO to get "significantly" louder (~10dB) you have to step up to Pro level boxes already mentioned or older and much larger/heavier touring level boxes.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 02:36:26 AM »

DSL SM80 is hard to beat for SPL and throw for a pole-able speaker.  The SM80 / TH118 combo is super popular and always amazes.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 08:13:35 AM »

Active or passive is ok, weight is no issue as long they have a significant upgrade of SPL
What do you consider "significant upgrade of SPL?"  Remember that 3dB is roughly 1 click on a TV remote.  Is that enough?

You MUST also consider the "simple SPL" numbers.  How is that measured?  Does it actually sound good at that SPL?  Is that SPL a peak or an average?  How long can it actually deliver that SPL etc.

BE VERY CAREFUL if all you are looking at is "max output SPL" numbers.  They may not be what you think they are.

For example, I can get 100 miles per gallon in my 300 horsepower SUV.  No problem.  and I can prove it any day to any one.

You don't believe me?----------  We we just go to the top of a local mountain and coast all the way to the bottom.

But you say that is not fair.  You wanted to know what sort of mileage I get with normal driving.  But I did not say it was normal driving-just that I could do it.  No matter how unrealistic it is for actual usage.

Max SPL numbers are the same way.  Simple answers to complex questions often result in easy to understand WRONG answers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 09:39:04 AM »

One part hinted/covered but not directly is how well a speaker may sound at a given output and how that is delivered on and off axis. A speaker that is loud and sounds good on axis or straight on but has a loss of high frequencies to the sides may not sound as good overall in a listen environment compared to one that sounds good on and off axis. A speaker that is 134db's peak on axis, but the highs are 6db's down 45 degrees off axis may not sound as good overall to one that can give 128db's peak but gives an even frequency response on and off axis. As mentioned by many the Peak output is not the only meter to what makes a good speaker. One companies 134db peak that sounds good in a large area may be a better speaker than other companies 140db peak rated speaker. Loud is one thing. Intelligibility is another. Just food for thought.

Douglas R. Allen

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2024, 10:43:55 AM »

What do you consider "significant upgrade of SPL?"  Remember that 3dB is roughly 1 click on a TV remote.  Is that enough?

I like this description.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2024, 11:48:37 AM »

I like this description.

Mac
I got that idea from a discussion at a Syn Aud Con class years ago. 

I have not personally measured it, but the consensus was that "on average" it was around 3dB per click.  Some people suggested it might be closer to 2dB, but that was based on "feeling" rather than actual measurement.

Either way it give a general idea to people how much level a 3dB change really is (or isn't).  There is a difference between "noticable difference" and "useable difference".  How many times have you adjusted the level with only 1 click and been happy?  Usually it is 2 or more.

My attitude is that if 3dB is that if you just want "3dB more" or if "3dB will make a difference in the audience acceptance", you need a bigger rig for the job
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2024, 09:01:30 AM »

You MUST also consider the "simple SPL" numbers.  How is that measured?  Does it actually sound good at that SPL?  Is that SPL a peak or an average?  How long can it actually deliver that SPL etc.

BE VERY CAREFUL if all you are looking at is "max output SPL" numbers.  They may not be what you think they are.

For example, I can get 100 miles per gallon in my 300 horsepower SUV.  No problem.  and I can prove it any day to any one.

You don't believe me?----------  We we just go to the top of a local mountain and coast all the way to the bottom.

But you say that is not fair.  You wanted to know what sort of mileage I get with normal driving.  But I did not say it was normal driving-just that I could do it.  No matter how unrealistic it is for actual usage.

Max SPL numbers are the same way.  Simple answers to complex questions often result in easy to understand WRONG answers.
This is great.  From my observations of how advertising is in the USA, your example is exactly how 100% of all advertising is!

I like this description.

Mac
+1

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2024, 05:11:02 AM »

The DbTech IG3 looks like the way to go budget wise

I also discovered the KV2 brand...they specialize in super loud point source cabinets , thing is that they are way out of my league .

:(

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2024, 05:11:02 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.