ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry... I need guidance with an ice-maker  (Read 995 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Sorry... I need guidance with an ice-maker
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 05:45:39 PM »

What changed?  There's your problem...

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 06:14:12 PM »

Absolutely agree with Tim here. Can you identify what might have changed that coincides with the fill tube freezing up?

Regarding the fill valve, I did a little Google searching and found several styles including even some using an inline check valve with an integral atmosphere vent port that were marked as used in ice makers and ice machines. And as Brian mentioned, it's possible the vent mechanism is supposed to be built into the fill valve such that when "closed and not filling" it connects a vent port to the ice maker side of the fill tube. Don't know for sure -- just spit balling here.

You may get lucky and find a service manual online for your model, but those can be hard to get hold of for certain brands as they tend to hold them close to the vest (I guess to protect their dealer/service network).

doug johnson2

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 06:30:20 PM »

We had a issue with bottom drawer freezer, there was drain line to the evaporator pan in the bottom that clogged and was freezing up.  We didn't have an icemaker in the bottom but, it was causing a couple of other issues with the freezer.
Also the icemaker in the refrigerator/freezer we have now will occasionally get ice buildup under the metal arm that shuts the maker off when it is full.  This keeps the arm lifted up just enough to keep it from triggering the icemaker.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 07:59:08 PM »

Maybe related.....maybe not, our fridge has auto defrost, started noticing a lot of ice build up in the freezer. The defrost mode was not starting, did a quick search the defrost timer on our was basically a clock motor mechanical timer module that would shut off the compressor every so many hours an turn on heating coils, the motor just quit. I the case of ours it was simple to get to pop off the bottom piece of trim, take out two screws.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 08:56:23 PM »

I completely agree!  The only thing that changed was a greater amount of getting ice-packs in/out of the freezer (my wife had surgery and needed the ice packs to control swelling).  Ever since then (about 3 weeks ago), the ice maker water-line has been freezing.

Absolutely agree with Tim here. Can you identify what might have changed that coincides with the fill tube freezing up?

Regarding the fill valve, I did a little Google searching and found several styles including even some using an inline check valve with an integral atmosphere vent port that were marked as used in ice makers and ice machines. And as Brian mentioned, it's possible the vent mechanism is supposed to be built into the fill valve such that when "closed and not filling" it connects a vent port to the ice maker side of the fill tube. Don't know for sure -- just spit balling here.

You may get lucky and find a service manual online for your model, but those can be hard to get hold of for certain brands as they tend to hold them close to the vest (I guess to protect their dealer/service network).
Just recently, I pulled the water-line out of the ice maker to thaw it.  After that, I reinstalled the water-line and did NOT power on the ice maker.  I wanted to make sure any frost in the freezer was gone... which it all appeared to be gone when I checked 48 hrs. later.  So, turned on the ice-maker, it made one tray of ice and then the line froze.

The water valve/solenoid I replaced is the exact same model number of what I took out, which does not appear to have other type of check-valve on it.  You are correct... an actual service manual has yet to have been found!  I did find a type of consumer exploded view of the refrigerator, but it did not provide all the components.  Very disappointing.

We had a issue with bottom drawer freezer, there was drain line to the evaporator pan in the bottom that clogged and was freezing up.  We didn't have an icemaker in the bottom but, it was causing a couple of other issues with the freezer.
Also the icemaker in the refrigerator/freezer we have now will occasionally get ice buildup under the metal arm that shuts the maker off when it is full.  This keeps the arm lifted up just enough to keep it from triggering the icemaker.
Good point.  There is no issues/problems with anything draining from ours.  Drain tube is not clogged; though, it looks like the tube is for the refrigerator compartment only.

Maybe related.....maybe not, our fridge has auto defrost, started noticing a lot of ice build up in the freezer. The defrost mode was not starting, did a quick search the defrost timer on our was basically a clock motor mechanical timer module that would shut off the compressor every so many hours an turn on heating coils, the motor just quit. I the case of ours it was simple to get to pop off the bottom piece of trim, take out two screws.
For sure.  Someone else earlier mentioned a defrost cycle.  I think (can't confirm yet) our fridge does not have a heated defrost.  I did notice a lot more frost in the freezer during the earlier times when I was getting ice packs in/out of it on a regular basis.  However, after a period of may hours, it looked like the frost was dissipating.  Not sure if that was just from air movement (within the whole fridge), or from an actual defrost cycle.
I need to verify this.

Thanks again.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 12:47:25 PM »

I'm closing my ticket on this, and moving on.

Long story short, my LG refrigerator has a "water pipe heater" in it to keep the water line (the line inside the freezer) just above freezing, which allows for the water to flow into the ice-tray for freezing.  The heater is broken or was programmed to stop working after "X" amount of hours of run-time.

I will be getting a small portable ice maker (counter top size) to replace the ice-maker in the fridge.

During my research, I learned that many manufacturers do not make refrigerator heating elements an FRU item.  Instead, they have you replace the entire refrigerator door (if the ice-maker is in the door), because they have made the heating elements as part of the door.  All you would need to do, as a consumer, is move the hardware/trim from the old door to the new door.  If the heating element is internal to the fridge, buy another fridge.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2024, 01:02:21 AM »

I'm closing my ticket on this, and moving on.

Long story short, my LG refrigerator has a "water pipe heater" in it to keep the water line (the line inside the freezer) just above freezing, which allows for the water to flow into the ice-tray for freezing.  The heater is broken or was programmed to stop working after "X" amount of hours of run-time.

I will be getting a small portable ice maker (counter top size) to replace the ice-maker in the fridge.

During my research, I learned that many manufacturers do not make refrigerator heating elements an FRU item.  Instead, they have you replace the entire refrigerator door (if the ice-maker is in the door), because they have made the heating elements as part of the door.  All you would need to do, as a consumer, is move the hardware/trim from the old door to the new door.  If the heating element is internal to the fridge, buy another fridge.
Interesting.
I've replaced plenty of jamb heater strips for walk-ins. 
But commercial stuff it built for repairability, consumer grade appliances aren't anymore I guess.  -although back when they last were, there generally wasn't any active "features" in fridge doors beyond shelves and butter compartments.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2024, 01:02:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.