Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Spinning socapex inserts - Is there a fix?

(1/1)

Geri O'Neil:
My first time to venture in this part of the forum....

In my semi-retirement, I'm tasked with not only getting repairs done, but finding long-term solutions for recurring problems such as socapex pin or socket inserts that spin out of alignment.

We've seen these off and on, but there's been a rather number of them cropping up. About all of the ones in question have several years on them. The boss and I are about ready to have a good ol' socapex replacement party, but I thought I'd see if anyone has a solution as a last resort before replacing the thing.

I can envision drilling a hole and tapping the shell for a small setscrew. But I don't know if there's room inside the shell and between the insert for a drill and a tap. I actually plan to dig into this tomorrow.

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: Geri O'Neil on March 11, 2024, 12:22:43 AM ---
I can envision drilling a hole and tapping the shell for a small setscrew. But I don't know if there's room inside the shell and between the insert for a drill and a tap. I actually plan to dig into this tomorrow.

--- End quote ---
I have done something similar with decent results using a small metal screw then cutting off the head.
With a bit of filing it can be made to fit the groove in the shell.
Be careful how deep the screw goes so as not to engage with a connector!

Mike Smith:

--- Quote from: Geri O'Neil on March 11, 2024, 12:22:43 AM ---My first time to venture in this part of the forum....

In my semi-retirement, I'm tasked with not only getting repairs done, but finding long-term solutions for recurring problems such as socapex pin or socket inserts that spin out of alignment.

We've seen these off and on, but there's been a rather number of them cropping up. About all of the ones in question have several years on them. The boss and I are about ready to have a good ol' socapex replacement party, but I thought I'd see if anyone has a solution as a last resort before replacing the thing.

--- End quote ---

This isn't a universal fix but I've done it a few times: Remove the two screws that fasten the outer shell halves to the connector chassis and take a look inside. The interior "pin" end, or front end, of the shells should have cast-in tabs or keys that fit into narrow machined slots. Over time, the tabs can wear away or shear off and you get a lot of free-play. You can buy repair kits that include a pair of replacement shells, screws, and strain relief bushings; the kits aren't inexpensive but they cost less than new connectors and you don't have to redo the wiring (assuming it's still okay).

Tim McCulloch:
Many time the spinning Soco are the result of the back shell being twisted in a wrong attempt to unmate the connectors and the twisting of the wires eventually deform the pinblock's guide tab.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version