ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best way to set levels in venue  (Read 2714 times)

JamesJudson

Re: What's the best way to set levels in venue
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2024, 12:46:35 PM »

Please answer one question for us.

Are you time-aligning these speakers with delay?

If you aren’t electronically delaying the delay speakers then no amount of level, eq, or aiming will help.
yes I calculate the distance between the mains and delays and multiply it by 1.1ms and giving the same amount in speaker processor

JamesJudson

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2024, 12:48:01 PM »

Please post a picture here of what the room looks like. You might have to post a few different pictures that will answer a lot of questions.
Ok I'll do it soon

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2024, 04:38:07 AM »

Having delays at 25 feet seems... unhelpful, at least with the limited knowledge of coverage area.
I've had very good results with a small speaker on a stick every 8-10 rows. It takes a fair amount of speakers and lots of tape to cover the cabling(not a fixed install), but the result is that almost everyone is listening to direct sound instead of 50/50 mix between direct sound and the first reflection.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2024, 05:31:28 PM »

I've had very good results with a small speaker on a stick every 8-10 rows.

Gorgeous venue!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2024, 07:12:38 PM »

I've had very good results with a small speaker on a stick every 8-10 rows. It takes a fair amount of speakers and lots of tape to cover the cabling(not a fixed install), but the result is that almost everyone is listening to direct sound instead of 50/50 mix between direct sound and the first reflection.

Stunning!!

Yes in rooms like that little speakers close the people is what works.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2024, 12:54:30 PM »

Absent a dimensional drawing of the room and some photographs to provide some sense of the likely acoustic environment RT60 guesstimates and such its hard to provide specifics but a generic step by step would be :

1 - Establish a suitable SPL in the coverage area of the main speaker system for the likely program material. You don't need the SPL meter for this. If it sounds right it is right with the usual caveat that absolute level from the sound system will change as the space fill up with large bags of warm salt water wearing winter coats.
2 - Establish the required time delay offset for each delay zone and program that into the signal chain.
3- Add 5-10 ms to that figure for precedence effect ( the sense that the sound is coming from the main speakers rather than the delay speakers.
4 - High pass the feed to the delay speakers at 300 hz. Nine times out of ten you are adding delay zones to improve intelligibility and that is in the articulation range. Be prepared to slide that up to 500 hz as needed
5 - With a listener in the delay zone of interest play prerecorded speech program material ( not music ) thru the main speaker system at the desired level and slowly increase the level of the delay speaker(s) in that one zone.
6 - When the listener can hear the sound origin shift from the main speakers to the delays stop increasing the level and reduce it 6db from that level
7 - Fine tune the time delay offset for optimum precedence delay
8 - Fine tune the level to the delay speakers at the designated listener position for optimal balance with the main speakers
9 - Mute the delay speakers and confirm that wow the delays really did make a difference there
10 - Turn the delays back on and repeat in the next delay zone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 12:56:43 PM by Riley Casey »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2024, 03:33:40 PM »

Absent a dimensional drawing of the room and some photographs to provide some sense of the likely acoustic environment RT60 guesstimates and such its hard to provide specifics but a generic step by step would be :

1 - Establish a suitable SPL in the coverage area of the main speaker system for the likely program material. You don't need the SPL meter for this. If it sounds right it is right with the usual caveat that absolute level from the sound system will change as the space fill up with large bags of warm salt water wearing winter coats.
10 - Turn the delays back on and repeat in the next delay zone.

Gee Riley, someone may think you do this for a living or something.   8)
Extremely thorough synopsis of a procedure that can spiral out of control pretty fast.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2024, 06:08:48 PM »

Hmm, I’m not sold on that method. Hipassing my delays 2 octaves over the lowest fundamental in human voices doesn’t sound right to me.
Also, off-setting delays is a bit of a no-no IMHE.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2024, 12:40:52 AM »

Also, off-setting delays is a bit of a no-no IMHE.

But, it WORKS.  In the 'fine tune' time, you can tweak the exact amount.  When done correctly, the additional delay in the delay speakers will make them effectively disappear but the overall SPL will increase.  When you can hear it happening in real time, it's kind of amazing.
Brian Jojade

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2024, 02:08:35 AM »

But, it WORKS.  In the 'fine tune' time, you can tweak the exact amount.  When done correctly, the additional delay in the delay speakers will make them effectively disappear but the overall SPL will increase.  When you can hear it happening in real time, it's kind of amazing.

I think it sounds wrong if you do this.
But, if it keeps the customer happy and pays the bills, go ahead :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2024, 02:08:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.