ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DB Technologies DVX DM15 Monitor - Source for parts?  (Read 1755 times)

Geri O'Neil

DB Technologies DVX DM15 Monitor - Source for parts?
« on: March 05, 2024, 12:00:42 PM »

Mods, do the usual topic move if necessary..

We have several of the DM15 monitors that I listed in the title.

I'm having the worst luck looking for parts for these speakers. Mainly the internal power amp assembly.

DB Technologies has sent me on several goose chases with no luck.  A couple of rep firms have come up dry. And someone recommends a source only for that lead to turn into a dead end. Even SoundPro/Contractor's Depot in Dallas has come up empty. They assured me that they could get the parts, but that was last September and all they can tell me to this day is that "we're still trying".

This is a decent powered wedge that has been working pretty well for us, but like everything else around here, they are getting some age and a lot of miles on them.

Any users here having success getting parts for these speakers?

Thanx,
G

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: DB Technologies DVX DM15 Monitor - Source for parts?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 05:50:18 PM »

Mods, do the usual topic move if necessary..

We have several of the DM15 monitors that I listed in the title.

I'm having the worst luck looking for parts for these speakers. Mainly the internal power amp assembly.

DB Technologies has sent me on several goose chases with no luck.  A couple of rep firms have come up dry. And someone recommends a source only for that lead to turn into a dead end. Even SoundPro/Contractor's Depot in Dallas has come up empty. They assured me that they could get the parts, but that was last September and all they can tell me to this day is that "we're still trying".

This is a decent powered wedge that has been working pretty well for us, but like everything else around here, they are getting some age and a lot of miles on them.

Any users here having success getting parts for these speakers?

Thanx,
G
If the basic box and drivers are good, get a decent DSP and bi-amp them?
At least recover some of your investment.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 06:55:51 PM »

Reason #36 why powered speakers are a bad idea outside of a few very limited market applications. I am curious how old these speakers are such that the original maker can just brush you off with some 'suggestions' for finding support rather than taking a hand in being useful.  Have you asked for schematics and tried someone who does component level repairs?

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 11:14:19 PM »

Reason #36 why powered speakers are a bad idea outside of a few very limited market applications. {...}

Eh, I'm not sure I agree: a lot of top-tier speakers these days rely on proprietary amplifiers, at which point I don't think it much matters whether the unobtainable-from-third-party-sources parts are found in the back of the box or in a rack (e.g. if d&b decides that they aren't going to support some older-generation box in newer amplifiers, their owners aren't any much worse off than if they had bought a powered speaker with a discontinued amp module).

-Russ

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 02:30:01 AM »

Eh, I'm not sure I agree: a lot of top-tier speakers these days rely on proprietary amplifiers, at which point I don't think it much matters whether the unobtainable-from-third-party-sources parts are found in the back of the box or in a rack (e.g. if d&b decides that they aren't going to support some older-generation box in newer amplifiers, their owners aren't any much worse off than if they had bought a powered speaker with a discontinued amp module).

-Russ

You can always roll your own settings with a passive box if the need arises.
You'll lose the manufacturers software integration so setting up and tuning will require more from the operator, but it's totally doable.
And you'll have a hard time recreating any dynamic stuff in their original settings. There is a couple of manufacturers using band limited compression to get more ompf from their products.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 09:13:01 AM »

This is especially interesting seeing as the DM15 is still an active product on the dB Tech website.

We service a venue with a package of DM12s, so I hope this is not foreshadowing of issues to come.

Thomas Le

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 09:23:43 AM »

I'll be following this topic also since I know a local company that has some DM speakers (as well as some DVA T12 and S30N's)

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 10:10:38 AM »

Strange, I always have had pretty good luck getting parts from dB Technologies.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 04:17:26 PM »

You can always roll your own settings with a passive box if the need arises.
You'll lose the manufacturers software integration so setting up and tuning will require more from the operator, but it's totally doable.
And you'll have a hard time recreating any dynamic stuff in their original settings. There is a couple of manufacturers using band limited compression to get more ompf from their products.

Yeah, I mean, it will still produce sound if you do that (at least for a little while), but by most definitions it won't really be an "insert-model-of-top-tier-speaker-here" anymore. That could very well be acceptable in the Lounge (and there are at least a few success stories of this type over there), but for LAB-level stuff I would suggest that speakers are at roughly the same level of risk for poor manufacturer support (or planned obsolescence, for that matter) regardless of where line power gets turned into signal (and that goes double for large, multi-element arrays).

-Russ

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 03:56:41 PM »

Strange, I always have had pretty good luck getting parts from dB Technologies.

Good to hear.

Might you be able to share a contact number or email?

[email protected]” or PM if you would prefer to send it privately.

Greatly appreciated!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 03:56:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.