Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Software question.

(1/2) > >>

Al Rettich:
Iím using a fairly new MacBook Pro, and Iím looking for a drawing program that I can create rig plots on? Learning simple CAD, thatís not as easy as I remember.  TIA for any info.

Riley Casey:
Vectorworks Spotlight is the standard of the production industry. Plenty of videos on line about lighting plots, rigging, array coverage you could look at before downloading a demo. Truth in advertising - it is neither easy to use or cheap to subscribe to.

Frank Koenig:

--- Quote from: Al Rettich on March 04, 2024, 07:53:29 PM ---Iím using a fairly new MacBook Pro, and Iím looking for a drawing program that I can create rig plots on? Learning simple CAD, thatís not as easy as I remember.  TIA for any info.

--- End quote ---

LibreCAD is a simple, open-source CAD program similar, but not identical, to 2-d Autocad.  Iíve played with it some and it seems pretty solid. Iím not claiming itís the best choice but itís out there and the price is right. I think it was developed by and for folks who want to drive CNC routers and the like without a lot of fuss.

--Frank

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: Frank Koenig on March 05, 2024, 12:07:54 PM ---LibreCAD is a simple, open-source CAD program similar, but not identical, to 2-d Autocad.  Iíve played with it some and it seems pretty solid. Iím not claiming itís the best choice but itís out there and the price is right. I think it was developed by and for folks who want to drive CNC routers and the like without a lot of fuss.

--Frank

--- End quote ---
I use Librecad often.  Great for designing in scale to calculate and check your work before sending your "napkin cad" off to the Revit guy for proper project integration.
Reminds me quite a bit of pre-1990 autocad before it became the kitchen-sink included (overpriced) bloatware it is today.

Frank Koenig:

--- Quote from: Craig Hauber on March 05, 2024, 04:31:49 PM ---I use Librecad often.  Great for designing in scale to calculate and check your work before sending your "napkin cad" off to the Revit guy for proper project integration.
Reminds me quite a bit of pre-1990 autocad before it became the kitchen-sink included (overpriced) bloatware it is today.
--- End quote ---

ďNapkin cadĒ, I love it. Many great ideas were first drawn on napkins. A friend used to carry a Pentel Rolling Writer with him at all times as he believed it to be the best pen for drawing on napkins (and they never leaked).

I designed my house, and many other things, on pre-1990 Autocad so itís still in my fingers. Just donít ask me how, exactly, I did any particular thing. And I agree on both the similarity to LibreCAD and the incredible bloat, along with highly irritating subscriptions/licensing, that came later.

--Frank

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version