ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baptismal micing techniques  (Read 1240 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Baptismal micing techniques
« on: March 03, 2024, 12:47:50 PM »

I am currently using a Shure MX418 on a ledge just out of reach of the people in the water. It works, but sounds about like you'd imagine.

I have a Dlive at FOH so an automixing solution is available. Would you prefer a shotgun on each side of the "proscenium" which would be about 5-6 feet away from the speakers, and automix between the two? Or an overhead choir mic type option? Or something else I haven't thought about?

The goal is to completely hide the mic(s) and improve the fidelity. I have no problem with GBF but the fidelity is kinda bad.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Baptismal micing techniques
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 01:04:04 PM »

When using multiple mics you need to look out for comb filtering.

With an automixer you might be able to give one mic priority over the others so they don't present to mix at equal levels (deepest notchs).

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 01:10:06 PM »

When using multiple mics you need to look out for comb filtering.

With an automixer you might be able to give one mic priority over the others so they don't present to mix at equal levels (deepest notchs).

JR

Yeah that was my thought. Unfortunately people enter and exit from both sides and the pastors will face both ways depending on how they enter. I would need two shotguns to do it that way.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 01:15:01 PM »

A wireless mic on the Pastor would eliminate shock risk....

Of course this is not my area of expertise.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 02:08:55 PM »

We tried a couple of different options years ago, didn't like any using wired mics. Now we use a regular wireless bodypack in a zip lock bag.  Mic is a countryman and is not easily visible -- baptistry is about 30 feet from first row and 10 feet above the floor.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 03:14:00 PM »

Crown PCC-160's can be a cool unobtrusive mic if you have a flat surface within proximity, they sound great, I believe the gent who designed them branched out on his own and they are not terribly expensive (I am however forgetting the name of the designer and company off the top of my head).

For in the water, a wireless bodypack in a condom in an arm band on the non-dunking shoulder can do the trick, I probably would not use a nice headset though, use something cheap or I do see "waterproof" models exist, I am not sure about the claim, but could be worth a shot.

PS: Buying a pack of extra-large condoms with the church budget is always fun, especially when someone from finance does not know what they are for.  ;D

For my last round of baptisms I put a HH on a stand next to the pool, which the pastor used from the pool a few times, without dropping it in or getting it wet - he stuck to my bargain with him.  ;D

---

I have a sibling who lives in a small city in Central America, and a pastor at a local church using a wired mic for baptisms when they accidentally dropped it in the water; unfortunately, that was the end of that sound system and the pastor's life - I am assuming there was some other power stuff going on and that something wasn't grounded/wired properly, but I still like to give water and wired stuff a wide berth all the same!
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 10:02:52 PM »

It's largely gonna depend on the style of baptism that your pastor does.  The last time I got in deep on this I ended up having a neoprene pouch built for a ULXD TX that had elastic arm bands and positioned the pack between the shoulder blades.  Pastor wore his standard d:fine headset.  Worked great. 

I've also used choir-type hanging mics (DPA) that were suspended above the baptistry and that worked well.  DPA probably had a lot to do with it sounding good vs lower fidelity options.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 01:09:09 AM »

Guess I should specify that a wireless solution is less than ideal for us. Several people do the baptisms, not just the pastor and they enter/exit from different sides. I’d need at least 4 channels of extra radio mics to do this right. Two on each side, one in the tank and one being put on the next pastor.

Too much potential failure and way too expensive for a very short part of the service.

I do love the PCC idea and I may try one on each side automixed for fidelity.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 01:49:49 AM »

I do love the PCC idea and I may try one on each side automixed for fidelity.

With the pickup pattern one might do the trick.  :) Unless your pool is much much larger than I am thinking.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 09:47:55 AM »

I have a sibling who lives in a small city in Central America, and a pastor at a local church using a wired mic for baptisms when they accidentally dropped it in the water; unfortunately, that was the end of that sound system and the pastor's life - I am assuming there was some other power stuff going on and that something wasn't grounded/wired properly, but I still like to give water and wired stuff a wide berth all the same!

The one baptismal tank death that I am aware of they determined was caused be bad wiring in the heater or pump of the tank. When the pastor grabbed the hardwired mic that was properly grounded he completed the circuit from the eclectically hot tank and died. There was another person in the tank when this happened and they weren't zapped at all.

I would never put any kind of hardwired mic anywhere near a baptismal tank. I my opinion and experience the best way to handle this is just to use a wireless hand held mic with a foam wind screen on it to catch any water splashed and put it on a stand so it is really near the front edge just outside of the tank. If you have a decent sound system this will pickup what you need and if the pastor or whoever is doing the dunking needs to step towards the front of the tank and pick up the mic it won't be a problem. Just don't use a rally expensive mic in case someone drops it in the tank.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 03:03:57 PM »

The one baptismal tank death that I am aware of they determined was caused be bad wiring in the heater or pump of the tank. When the pastor grabbed the hardwired mic that was properly grounded he completed the circuit from the eclectically hot tank and died. There was another person in the tank when this happened and they weren't zapped at all.

I am guessing there is more to the story. Honduras is not known for its code, the wiring is pretty scary down there - google "La Cieba Power Line" and you will see what i mean!  :o

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 03:41:08 PM »

I am guessing there is more to the story. Honduras is not known for its code, the wiring is pretty scary down there - google "La Cieba Power Line" and you will see what i mean!  :o

It actually was in the USA in 2005. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pastor-electrocuted-during-baptism/

Matthias McCready

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 07:33:56 PM »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 08:40:31 PM »

One of the few times where a Shure PGX wireless handheld would be perfect.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 08:08:10 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 10:34:57 PM »

We are talking different stories  8)

I should have started my post with - The one I was thinking of was in the USA.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 06:12:09 PM »

Or an overhead choir mic type option?

This would be the solution I'd investigate.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

randy amos

• SW Florida
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2024, 02:54:44 PM »

Crown PCC-160's can be a cool unobtrusive mic if you have a flat surface within proximity, they sound great, I believe the gent who designed them branched out on his own and they are not terribly expensive (I am however forgetting the name of the designer and company off the top of my head).

I believe the guy you're referencing is Bruce Bartlett, found here: https://www.bartlettaudio.com/
We use several of his floor mics at my school, and they're great.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 04:46:49 PM »

I believe the guy you're referencing is Bruce Bartlett, found here: https://www.bartlettaudio.com/
We use several of his floor mics at my school, and they're great.

Thats it!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 04:46:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.