Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

48v protocol

<< < (2/2)

Chris Grimshaw:

--- Quote from: Robert Lunceford on March 02, 2024, 02:20:05 AM ---I remember that too. I believe it was the Soundcraft digital boards that had that issue.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I heard similar. Had a guy bring a UI24 through my usual venue, to mix band's IEMs via analogue split. He said it was vitally important to make sure he'd switched phantom before connecting/disconnecting XLRs, or the preamp might be damaged.

I mean, even my crappy old Behringer analogue desk doesn't care, so I was a little dismayed that something much more expensive and modern might be so sensitive.

FWIW, I just make sure all the inputs (except BGM, if it still needs to be running) are muted before I start unplugging things.

Chris

Mike Caldwell:
I think there was a Digico stage box input card that did not like getting a mic connected with the phantom power turned on.

John Roberts {JR}:
For a little historical perspective, back in the early days of wireless microphones the external receivers would plug into console mic inputs. Many of the first generation wireless receiver designs were not robust and protected against exposure to phantom voltage on their outputs.

The design engineers figured it out after suffering too many field failures in early production runs.

JR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version