Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

48v protocol

(1/2) > >>

Richard Oppenheimer:
What is the best practice for safely using phantom power on condenser mics? Should I turn phantom off for each channel before I unplug the xlrs? Is it a bad thing to unplug a mic from a muted channel that still has the 48v on?
I know to mute all channels before turning 48v on or off, but what are the rules when connecting /disconnecting the cable from the actual microphones?

Thanks

John Roberts {JR}:

--- Quote from: Richard Oppenheimer on March 01, 2024, 04:05:07 PM ---What is the best practice for safely using phantom power on condenser mics? Should I turn phantom off for each channel before I unplug the xlrs? Is it a bad thing to unplug a mic from a muted channel that still has the 48v on?
I know to mute all channels before turning 48v on or off, but what are the rules when connecting /disconnecting the cable from the actual microphones?

Thanks

--- End quote ---
I am not aware of any protocol per se, but take care to not accidentally short either pin 2 or pin 3 to ground as this can drive -48V into mic preamp inputs (through the DC blocking capacitors).

This is a known concern working with studio patch bays, not so much for live SR.

JR

Brian Jojade:
There were a few reports a while back on a certain model of mixer that could fry inputs if devices were connected/disconnected while phantom power was turned on.

I personally haven't experienced any issues though and often forget that I have phantom power on sometimes.  I find it handy on the X32 that there's at least a red LED that lights up next to the connector reminding me phantom is on.  While most things don't care about phantom, certain things do, so caution is warranted.

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: Richard Oppenheimer on March 01, 2024, 04:05:07 PM ---What is the best practice for safely using phantom power on condenser mics? Should I turn phantom off for each channel before I unplug the xlrs? Is it a bad thing to unplug a mic from a muted channel that still has the 48v on?

Thanks

--- End quote ---
I leave the channel off until the mic is fully connected, and kill the strip before it is unplugged.  A lot of mic's make a nasty pop when power is applied or removed. Generally i set up the board (rough gain, phantom, etc) before I wire the stage, with all channels muted.
Chris.

Robert Lunceford:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on March 01, 2024, 06:06:09 PM ---There were a few reports a while back on a certain model of mixer that could fry inputs if devices were connected/disconnected while phantom power was turned

--- End quote ---

I remember that too. I believe it was the Soundcraft digital boards that had that issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version