Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

split snake and phantom power.

(1/2) > >>

JeffLilly:
  Hi my band does a few gigs every year where we use our mixer, an SQ5 to mix our IEMs and the venue supplies the split snake. We are playing a new venue that doesn't have one so I purchased an EWI split snake that is just a basic split, no transformers. The house board is an M32. From my understanding only one board should have the phantom on. I assuming it would make more sense for it to be our SQ5. I don't want to damage anything and just wondering if this is still an issue with modern consoles. Also if anyone has any other advice on using a splitter I am all ears. Thanks

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: JeffLilly on March 01, 2024, 10:58:54 AM ---  Hi my band does a few gigs every year where we use our mixer, an SQ5 to mix our IEMs and the venue supplies the split snake. We are playing a new venue that doesn't have one so I purchased an EWI split snake that is just a basic split, no transformers. The house board is an M32. From my understanding only one board should have the phantom on. I assuming it would make more sense for it to be our SQ5. I don't want to damage anything and just wondering if this is still an issue with modern consoles. Also if anyone has any other advice on using a splitter I am all ears. Thanks

--- End quote ---

It won't matter which console supplies the phantom power, and 2 consoles with +48 on, damage is very unlikely presuming all the XLR cables are wired correctly.

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: JeffLilly on March 01, 2024, 10:58:54 AM ---I don't want to damage anything and just wondering if this is still an issue with modern consoles.

--- End quote ---

What Tim said.

Generally, I prefer the console closest (in cable length) to the microphones provide Phantom Power.

Dave

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Dave Pluke on March 01, 2024, 02:13:11 PM ---What Tim said.

Generally, I prefer the console closest (in cable length) to the microphones provide Phantom Power.

Dave

--- End quote ---

Same, although I use closest to the stage as a guideline.  Generally, that's going to be monitor console.

JeffLilly:
 Thanks for the info guys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version