Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

PSW Archives

<< < (6/6)

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on March 03, 2024, 05:16:45 PM ---Speaking of inserts I going to say that at most we are one generation away from a sound person knowing what to do with an insert rack fantail and an analog mixer.

--- End quote ---
Is that a bad thing?  We don't use abacuses anymore either. ::)

Scott Helmke:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on March 03, 2024, 05:16:45 PM ---Speaking of inserts I going to say that at most we are one generation away from a sound person knowing what to do with an insert rack fantail and an analog mixer.

--- End quote ---

Which isn't really an applicable skill these days.  I'd rather have somebody who can troubleshoot network connections.

Anyways, for the topic please put me in the digital mixer (digital everything) category.

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Scott Helmke on March 03, 2024, 08:08:51 PM ---Which isn't really an applicable skill these days.  I'd rather have somebody who can troubleshoot network connections.

Anyways, for the topic please put me in the digital mixer (digital everything) category.

--- End quote ---

That was more of just a time line reference, the most I've done with an insert rack in the last ten years was to pull the equipment out of it and repurpose the rack!!

Yes to digital and the UI upgrades come along with each new generation.....most of the time!!

Riley Casey:
At least two things in play here I'd expect. At low frequencies high level audio impacts the entire body and not just the ears so the 'concert experience' could very easily be understood as wanting that sensation while judiciously reducing the SPL at the eardrum. As to what the bands want that could easily be put down to the musicians and perhaps their tour staff - managers, BEs, backline techs - having already suffered siginficant hearing loss from years of excessive exposure and thus their point of reference is offset.

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on March 01, 2024, 02:51:25 PM ---That's one that I find quite interesting.  If most people now realize that it's just too freaking loud, you'd think that bands would want to mix quieter.

I try to do that on most shows, but some bands demand that I create earbleed levels.

--- End quote ---

Ken Braziel:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on March 01, 2024, 02:51:25 PM ---That's one that I find quite interesting.  If most people now realize that it's just too freaking loud, you'd think that bands would want to mix quieter.

I try to do that on most shows, but some bands demand that I create earbleed levels.

--- End quote ---

Depends on the situation and the band, when the venue has rules most band members will turn down when asked or not be invited back.

The club I work regularly gets really loud from audience chatter alone, especially when a full band fires up, so I still have to mix around 90-95db for the band to be heard, which is my comfort zone for full bands anyways. We have to keep it below 95 in there because they have "that one neighbor" who calls the cops when he can hear music in the background - the police are blind to us pointing out that we're well within the legal limit & the cars driving by outside are louder. When we have seated shows the audience is far more respectful & I can mix them appropriately low. Another outdoor venue I work in the summer can peak out over 100db without issues because they're in a large outdoor mall with no housing neighbors, it only got that loud a couple of times over 30 shows last summer.

To the subject I'm in the digital mixers & quality self-powered speakers camp, I love having a full outdoor concert setup that I can carry and work from my van, no need for box trucks at my size.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version